chapter twenty two - you're either the hunted or the hunter

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺ ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ ° ┊┊ ┊┊ ➶ 。˚   ┊┊ ✧ ⁺. ┊┊. ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*. * ·"

 * ·"

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺ ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ ° ┊┊ ┊┊ ➶ 。˚   ┊┊ ✧ ⁺. ┊┊. ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*. * ·"

"Daddy?" I pushed opened the door to his office, my little blanket dragging behind me being the near equivalent of my height--it was a surprise I didn't trip over it as much as I did.

There was a momentary lapse of silence that greeted me, save for the rumble of thunder outside overhead or the erratic flashes of lightening. Despite me knowing it was only a storm, I jumped in fright at the loud CRACK that severed the sky between the earth. It almost sounded as though angels were battling it out behind the omnious cosset of clouds, shedding their tears in woe and clashing swords at every turn. I searched the dark room for the soft face of a man who could make any nightmares go away at the flick of his wrist--I sometimes wondered if he was a wizard in that regard.

The only light that illuminated daddy's haunched figure at his desk was the stoked fireplace and the soft glowing irradiation of his desk lamp. He had his face, concealed by the frames of his reading glasses, buried in a disarray of papers and documents, unaware of the little girl that wobbled into the room. Clair de Lune played softly in the background on his record player, the melodic notes soothing my heart just a tad lighter, but it did not make the fear wash away.

"Daddy?" He looked up this time at the timid sound of my voice, concern pulling his brows together and the purse of his lines smoothing down to a kind smile.

(Idris Elba as El's dad)

"Hey baby girl, whatcha doing up so late?" I trailed around his desk, waddling behind my blanket as I held up up to my face bashfully.