chapter nine - red

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺ ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ ° ┊┊ ┊┊ ➶ 。˚   ┊┊ ✧ ⁺. ┊┊. ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*. * ·"

           *    ·"

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺ ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ ° ┊┊ ┊┊ ➶ 。˚   ┊┊ ✧ ⁺. ┊┊. ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*. * ·"

Apparently, Edward had decided to ditch class altogether.

I was somewhat happy to hear this news because I didn't think I could stand being in his presence anymore then I had to -- he was starting to send me into an overdrive of frustration and uneasiness. Better yet, he was driving me crazy me—and not in the good way.

I couldn't keep up with his mood flips.

I was lucky; Mr. Banner wasn't in the room yet when I arrived. I settled quickly into my seat, aware that both Mike and Angela were staring at me. Mike looked resentful; Angela looked surprised, and slightly awed.

Mr. Banner came in the room then, calling the class to order. He was juggling a few small cardboard boxes in his arms. He put them down on Mike's table, telling him to start passing them around the class.

"Okay, guys, I want you all to take one piece from each box," he said as he produced a pair of rubber gloves from the pocket of his lab jacket and pulled them on. The sharp sound as the gloves snapped into place against his wrists seemed ominous to me. "The first should be an indicator card," he went on, grabbing a white card with four squares marked on it and displaying it. "The second is a four-pronged applicator —" he held up something that looked like a nearly toothless hair pick "— and the third is a sterile micro-lancet." He held up a small piece of blue plastic and split it open. The barb was invisible from this distance, but my stomach flipped.

"I'll be coming around with a dropper of water to prepare your cards, so please don't start until I get to you." He began at Mike's table again, carefully putting one drop of water in each of the four squares.

"Then I want you to carefully prick your finger with the lancet..." He grabbed Mike's hand and jabbed the spike into the tip of Mike's middle finger. Oh no. Clammy moisture broke out across my forehead.

"Put a small drop of blood on each of the prongs." He demonstrated, squeezing Mike's finger till the blood flowed. I swallowed convulsively, my stomach heaving.

Red---I shuddered a breath and inhaled slowly. I closed my eyes as if to subdue the nausea creeping up on my throat, but it hardly helped.

Red—Dad.