chapter five - the mark

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺    ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ °  ┊┊                                    ┊┊ ➶ 。˚    ┊┊ ✧ ⁺.                          ┊┊.                      ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*.           *    ·"

           *    ·"

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺    ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ °  ┊┊                                    ┊┊ ➶ 。˚    ┊┊ ✧ ⁺.                          ┊┊.                      ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*.           *    ·"

The next day was better... and worse.

It was better because it wasn't raining yet, though the clouds were dense and opaque and my step-mom's snoring could be heard across the entire hallway making it very difficult to sleep. But it was easier because I knew what to expect of my day.

Mike came to sit by me in English, and walked me to my next class to my chagrin, with Chess Club Eric glaring at him all the while; that was irritating. People didn't look at me quite as much as they had yesterday. I sat with a big group at lunch that included Mike, Eric, and Jessica.

I began to feel like I was treading water, instead of drowning in it. It was worse because I was tired; I still couldn't sleep with the wind echoing around the house and my insomnia. It was worse because Mr. Varner called on me in Trig when my hand wasn't raised and I had the wrong answer. Mr. Banner didn't help my case either – he called me more than considered kind and always tried to make a mockery out of my responses.

Seriously, what did he have against me? I considered Mr. Banner being racially discriminative or simply had it out against hoodie-wearers.

Maybe the latter.

The point is, it was miserable because I had to play volleyball, and the one time I didn't cringe out of the way of the ball, I hit my teammate in the head with it.

And it was worse because Edward Cullen wasn't in school at all.

Which should've made that day better, but all morning I was dreading lunch, fearing his bizarre glares while also planning out what exactly I was gonna say to him. Part of me wanted to confront him and demand to know what his problem was. Part of me wanted to forget it all happened and move seats in biology.

So I was pissed he wasn't at school, which meant waiting it out.

While I was lying sleepless in my bed, I even imagined what I would say. But when I walked into the cafeteria with Jessica — trying to keep my eyes from sweeping the place for him, and failing entirely — I saw that his four siblings of sorts were sitting together at the same table, and he was not with them.