chapter two - hello forks

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺    ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ °  ┊┊                                    ┊┊ ➶ 。˚    ┊┊ ✧ ⁺.                          ┊┊.                      ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*.           *    ·"

           *    ·"

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺    ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ °  ┊┊                                    ┊┊ ➶ 。˚    ┊┊ ✧ ⁺.                          ┊┊.                      ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*.           *    ·"

It was wet and freezing – that's all I could think about as we stepped out from the airport parking lot in Seattle in the middle of the rain, fighting to stand underneath one umbrella.

This was the first time in a long time we were forced to stand within two inches of each other, but all I could think about was getting warm, so my need to survive outweighed my personal grudges. Not only could I not feel my feet, my hair was uncomfortably damp from the perforating raindrops collecting in the air. If I didn't catch ammonia already, I gathered it would only take me thirty more minutes before my body escalated into the hypothermia phase.

With chattering teeth, I said, "I thought you said he'll be here in ten minutes."

Kimi shook aggressively beside me as she tucked her hands deep within her coat pockets and stamped her feet into the asphalt. We were the only two idiots standing in the middle of an empty parking lot without any means of transport or heat. I grimaced at the glowering clouds above us – they looked ominously shady.

"He'll be here. He's probably stuck in traffic or something." Kimi didn't sound all too relaxed about the idea of standing in the rain like a bunch of half-brained stooges by the edge of her tone. For once, we agreed on something.

"Traffic from what?" I scoffed. "It's not like anyone is stupid enough to be out here when the weather wants to kill us."

"Some people get weirded out by the rain," Kimi reasoned, "It gets slippery when you drive too."

I was about to roll my eyes, but I worried they would get stuck in the back of my head, so I dutifully refrained and pressed my chapped lips instead. "I don't understand why your brother chose to live in the most freezing ass state of all time."

"Charlie's lived here for ten years and been the chief of police for—God, I don't even know how long. Just long enough for it to make him an important part of the town," Kimi acknowledged, somewhat wistful. "I don't even remember the last time I saw him."

I looked at her sideways, "So we're basically gonna live with a complete stranger."

Kimi scowled at me, "He's not a stranger; he's my brother. It's just been awhile since we've got together and talked."