getting better isn't a one size fits all

General POV

Week One

The first week was the worst for Luna because it was almost like she was stuck. Stuck with the constant sympathy and looks from her fellow residents and attendings, who would sit by her bedside constantly. The only good thing to come out of it was meeting Sofia for the first time. Also because Mark would leave Sofia with her all day, which made the day go quickly but the embarrassment from needing to page someone so they could come and change her nappie and not just do it herself. Also, the fear crashing revolution that she never got to change a nappie because of the loss of her child before it was even born.

'So Avery is being annoying and not letting anyone scrub in with Sloan anymore' April says walking in.

April was the only one who didn't give her any sympathy really. And just kind of got on with it and was a friend.

'Why isn't he letting anyone scrub in?' She asks looking up from Sofia who was asleep in her arms.

'He said this morning that it's because Sloan doesn't want him seeing you so he's being baby sat' April laughs.

'Men are so confusing sometimes, So Torres said I've got four more weeks then I'm out of here'

'You know Lulu your gonna have to talk to him at some point you two do live together. Which brings me to my next question' April says with a chirp in her voice.

'What?!' Luna responds.

'Do you want to move in with me?... and Alex, and maybe Jackson'

'Jackson?' She asks.

'It's weird that he's living with Lexie and we have decided having a baby in the house is too much for us' April says batting her eyelids at her.

'but what happens if we stop speaking again? He's not coming to see me and he's barely been here at all. Okay fine...But only if I get the biggest bedroom and we have to have ensuites. Cannot be dealing with the morning rush arguing over who pees first again' The two girls burst into fits of laughter.

Being friends with April was something that she found comfort in because she reminded her of Amelia, Derek's sister who was in LA with Addison.

Week 2

'So heard you've been babysitting Jackson?' Luna asks Mark who is sitting next to her doing some sort of puzzle in a newspaper.

'Who told you that?' He snaps back.

'Come on, he hasn't been to see me and he's constantly on your service' she answers back.

'He is a filth year resident getting ready for his boards! which may I add you should take advantage of your time off and study' Mark says looking at her.

'Okay, Mark I've known you long enough to know when you're lying so what's happened?'

'I told him to stay away from you okay, he's gonna hurt you again and the last time he did you left and you got really bad. So I told him to stay away and he has. Also, he has really good hands for plastic' Hearing the words come out of Mark's mouth really hurt her because he was the last person to be deciding who is good for her.

'Are you serious? You told him to stay away? You cant be serious. What if I told you to stay away from Julia or Lexie you wouldn't would you. You are an arsehole, Mark Sloan!' Luna shouted at him.

'Hey! I'm trying to help you. He will hurt you. Every guy does'

'Uh and your one to talk right? you are the one who hurt me the most. Cheating on me after I lost our baby' She screamed back at him not realising that her fellow residents and attendings were standing outside.

'Okay Sloan outside' Bailey walked in and said staring at them both.

Her peers scattered leaving her and Bailey in the room by themselves and it didn't take long for her to break down into floods of tears. This was the first time she had cried in months, the first time she let herself feel and the first time she realised and processed what she had lost.

3 weeks

It had been a week and the only people who had visited Luna were Bailey, April and Alex. Derek had even dodged her visits and she only saw Meredith and Cristina when they walked past on cases. And Jackson had been again smothered with cases from Mark.

'So you ready to talk about your argument with Sloan?' Alex asked. They were eating a jelly pot while watching a stupid Romcom.

'Nope!' Luna said back not taking her eyes off the laptop.

'Okay, So you know we've got that apartment with Jackson and April?'

'Yes,' Luna answered questionably.

'Well, we may have set your room up and unpacked your stuff. Here I took a photo' Alex reaches for his phone bringing up the photo of Luna's room.

It was set up so nicely. Had a big desk and photos on one wall. And her collection of pillows across her bed.

'Me and Jackson got everything out of storage from your apartment when you moved to Seattle and the stuff from new york, and we set it up a few days ago. And April organised everything like your pillows but Jackson did the photo wall' Alex said sliding through the more in detail photos. Until Luna recognised a photo on the wall was a photo of the ultrasound from Boston.

'Thank you, Alex, It's beautiful. Oh, you guys' Luna started to well up because she realised that she had the best family ever. She always thought that family had to be by blood but life keeps on reminding her every now that family doesn't have to be blood.

'Lexie gave us that cushion as well. Found it in your old room' Alex showing her these meant more than he had realised.

'I was gonna name him August-Leo, we were so excited. I had bought that pillow for the nursery when in Target or something before I told Mark. I had forgotten I even bought it with me. Should I feel bad for forgetting?' Luna says looking at Alex.

'No, I don't think you should, You lost someone so special. And you shouldn't have a time frame on how long you should grieve. What I can tell you is you are going to be a Kickass mom someday and they are going to have the best older brother always looking down on them' After Alex had finished Luna balled into tears.

The words for someone listening in might seem cringe or out of place but for these two residents the conversation was between friends. And let them both let go, and be able to trust each other more.

Notes-

Sorry for the super long paragraphs recently. Hope you are all enjoying it though.

Also, season finale of season 18 is tomorrow.