Rehearsals

May 26, 1997 (First day of rehearsal)

May 26, 1997
(First day of rehearsal)

Old and new dancers arrived at the dance studio around 5 am to begin rehearsals for The Velvet Rope tour. Tina had mentioned they would be focusing on some choreography for " I Get Lonely" first and moving into other songs. The rehearsal day was set to be a ten hour day. Janet was an early bird so all rehearsals started extremely early.

" Good morning everybody, make sure you come pick up your lyric sheet for I Get Lonely. We also have some continental breakfast in the back. For all the new folks, this is going to be a long day and we are doing a lot of moving so make sure you stay as hydrated as you can. If you have anymore questions please feel free to come and ask me. Other than that lets have a great productive time and happy first day!" Tina informed everyone of a few things.

There were still about 15 minutes left before the rehearsal actually started. Janet sat on the floor stretching. She was wearing a white poke-a-dot scarf, an over-sized mickey mouse t-shirt, with boyfriend jeans, and some black shades.

" Whats up booty." Tina walked over to Janet and started to stretch with her.

" Nothing T. You know I was thinking for like 8 counts, for I get lonely routine, we do a little something on the ground or where we are all low. Like, maybe the break down or towards the beginning."

"Oh we can feel that out this morning. I was thinking of like a leveling thing too last night. I think we can work it in someplace for sure." Tina grabbed her water bottle on the side of her

Shawn walked in with a bandaid above her lip.

" What's up Shawn." Tina said.

" Hey T."

" What happened to your lip?" Tina looked full of concern

" Nothing. I was just playing ball and one of the guys threw it a little too hard at me. It's cool."

" Oh okay." Tina continued to stretch

Shawn looked at Janet for a while after the lie she just told Tina. There was some guilt on Janets face but she had no intentions of apologizing.

"5 more minutes until we get started!!!" Tina let the group know

Imani soon shuffled in the room. She seemed to be in a hurry.  Janet spotted her and was about to approach her before one of the other dancers walked up to her and stole her attention. Meanwhile, Imani continued to the back to grab a quick snack.

"Mani... mani... mani..." Shawn glided up to where Imani was standing

" Hey, you good?"

" Yea, I'm good but are you good?"

" What you mean am I good?"

"Hey, I'm just asking." Shawn shrugged. " Your girl came over my house last night because she wanted to get some of this good shit." Shawn whispered into Imanis ear

" What the fuck are you talking about?!" Imani raised her voice causing everybody to look over in their direction

" Oh she ain't tell y-" Before Shawn could finish, Imani threw water in her face and punched her in the eye.

" Stay the fuck away from us bitch." Imani choked Shawn up against the wall.

" HEY!!!HEY!!! STOP THIS!" Tina rushed over and  pulled Imani away from Shawn as Janet held Shawn back.

" What the fuck is going on?" Tina blurted out

"Ask your fucking homegirl, T. Maybe she'll tell you the truth." Shawn yelled across to Tina

" Janet, what is she talking about?" Tina questioned

"I- I-" Janet struggled to find the right words for this moment. " I have to tell you something but after this is all over."

Janet stood shocked and shivering a little bit. She wondered could this be the moment everything she was trying to keep on the low come to the light?

"Let's just get started you guys." Janet walked over and took her jacket off. "If you two continue to fight and all of this, I'm going to send y'all home for the day."

" I don't think you want to send me home." Shawn spoke up

" No, but I might fuck you up and make you stay anyways." Janet argued back