Away from Home •

Enjoy : )

The air of the morning was crisp and new. Imani folded some of her final outfits and put them inside of her suitcase. Janet sat there waiting with nothing but a tiny book-bag purse. " You sure you're not bringing anything?" It really wasn't registering for Imani that Janet didn't really need to bring anything if she didn't want to. Imani was use to overpacking making sure she had everything that she needed because she wasn't going to be able to buy a whole new wardrobe away from home. "I prefer not, I'm just gonna buy some new clothes and things when we get there. Don't worry boo. I know what I'm doing." Janet smirked and tucked a mini journal inside of her pocket. "What was that?" Imani questioned knowing Janet probably wouldn't even tell her. "Don't worry about it, baby." Janet slid off of the couch and walked over to Imani. She kissed her forehead but that wasn't fulfilling enough, so she went in for a kiss on the lips. "Ehmmm..." She licked her lips, trying to make whatever she was experiencing last as long as she could. Janet grabbed one of Imanis bags. "Now can we go? You taking all day tryna pack your entire life in that suitcase." She headed towards the door.

It didn't take long, packing up the car with their bags and snacks, before heading to Arizona. They didn't know exactly where they were going because this trip was completely spur-of-the-moment. Nothing was planned, and that felt freeing.

They were seeking out something rejuvenating for them individually. It had been three months since they met up again at the Flower Field and they'd been avoiding the people close to them in order to maintain the drama in their lives.

Imani was doing the first seven hours of the drive, while Janet was taking over the last seven. Imani pulled out her pre-roll and lit it before she officially pulled off. She inhaled as if all her troubles were in that blunt and burning away forever with each puff. With her eyes closed, Imani allowed herself to experience the ease that blew over her.  She handed the blunt over to Janet. Janet inhaled like it was an asthma inhaler. She started coughing like she was in the midst of a wild fire. "Here... take it." She passed it back to Imani as she tried, with all her might, to control her coughing. Imani had no problem laughing at Janet choking. " I keep telling you not to suck so hard." Imani put out the blunt and but the car in drive. "Oh shut up! I didn't even do it that hard this time." Imani looked over at Janet for a quick second. "Baby..." Imani didn't even have to say anything else before they both bursted out laughing.

Traffic got heavier as the time went on. People rushing to work or starting their tasks for the day. Janet didn't want to be the one driving when all that was going on. She preferred driving late into the evening when it was quiet and everyone was asleep.

Imani drove with the rhythm of traffic, while her thoughts ran freely. She looked over at Janet and admired how peaceful and beautiful she looked as she dozed off a few hours into the drive.

Three hours later...

Imani pulled into a parking lot of a lounge. She gently tapped Janet. "I'm about to go in here and use the bathroom. We can trade off when we're done." Janet yawned, looking around trying to become familiar with her surroundings. She sees the sign above the building, "Mama Yoke". She sat up confused. "What the hell is Mama Yoke?" She wiped a little spit from off of her face. They got out and headed inside.

Euphoric colors beamed through the creases of the entrance doors. There were no windows, and if there were any they were blacked out. A sign carved into the door, "Enter at your own risk." No one was outside and the doors were unlocked. Janet opened the doors, revealing a hallway with extremely dingy lighting, decorated by red velvet curtains that had clearly stood the test of time. They continued to walk down the hall. None of them mumbled a word because the curiosity was overbearing. They reached another door where they could hear some voices off in the distance but couldn't really make out what they were saying. "Should I do it?" Janet asked but didn't really wait for Imanis response before swinging the doors open.