[Season 2] Chapter 3 "Spar" - "Casualties"

"If anyone wishes to leave, now is the time. There's no shame or disgrace in abstaining. Only in retreat." Ozpin finished after confirming Raven's words pretty much.

You stood up.

"If we're going to help, keep risking our lives. No more lies. No more half-truths."

Ozpin looked over to Qrow, who'd kinda shrug.

"Understood."

You sat back down.

"So... What now? I mean, what can we do?" Jaune asked.

"Hm, that's a tough question. One that I believe is best answered tomorrow."

"What do you mean?"

"The road ahead is undoubtedly filled with hardships and peril. However, it's been far too long since you've all been together. Please, take tonight enjoy this moment."

Ozpin gave Oscar back control and Oscar jumped in surprise as his hand was on Yang's shoulder, making Weiss and Yang laugh.

"Ooooohhhhh! Raven, Qrow! They're birds! Cracked it!" Nora said.

You and Ren facepalmed.

***

You were on the roof, kind of just staring off into the distance as your mind guided you. Your hands were on the wood fence, and you could feel the wood underneath your fingers.

But you personally couldn't see anything. Your vision was blurry, and everything was silent.

Not because you were hurt or something, but because your mind had genuinely carried you out of your state of attention.

Only with your thoughts.

Raven's words. Qrow and Ozpin's words.

I know people who can come back from the dead.

I have made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on this planet. That wasn't exaggerating. I'm cursed for the thousands of years I've walked this surface of the remnant. Living and dying and reincarnating in the body of a like-minded soul.

The professor Ozpin you all met wasn't my first form. And clearly wasn't my last.

The Grimm have a leader.

Salem.

But with every new discovery I made, the more horrifying the world became.

But... What business do I have knowing all of this stuff? I mean, I'm just an eighteen-year-old...

... Just an eighteen-year-old? Yeah, right. I have an aura and a semblance. A semblance of doing things with time. "Just an eighteen-year-old". There are moments where I aspire to be that.

But for now.......

I must defend the world against the creatures of Grimm. Without my father?

What is my reason? What is my raison d'être...?

A/N: Raison d'être the most important reason or purpose for someone or something's existence.

... I must push these feelings down the feelings of hesitation, uncertainty...

Be strong kiddo, be the strong kid I've always known you to be.

You let out a big breath.

I call it the Sword of Valor. Because I believe it takes courage to even become a huntsman.