Chapter Three

Nine years later, I sat in the main part of my den with Lonnie. She needed to talk to me about Alpha school. I really wanted to become an Alpha, but a runt  has never become an Alpha before in wolf history and only a few have ever become Lead Alphas. Also, so far in wolf history, the only reason a runt has become Lead Alpha, which is the leader of the pack, is because the runt is the only heir left to take their parents' place.

But to become an Alpha, a wolf had to graduate from Alpha school after taking and passing the PAW Test. The PAW Test is a big test to see if a wolf is ready to become an Alpha. The "PAW Test" stands for Prepared Alpha Wolf Test.

If I didn't become an Alpha then I would forever be an omega. You are either an Alpha or an omega in the pack. If you didn't try out for Alpha school, then you were to be an omega no matter what. Most wolves are omegas, of course. There are about one hundred Alphas in the pack and about three hundred omegas which includes pups. Every year, about a fourth to half of the Alphas retire and about that many young Alphas replace them.

But now I was going to find out if Lonnie would agree to let me go to Alpha school to train as an Alpha. Lonnie gave a gentle sigh.

"After careful consideration, I have decided..." I leaned forward as I waited anxiously for her to finish her answer. Lonnie continued, "... that you can go to Alpha school."

I jumped up into the air and yelled, "Yaahooooo!"

Lonnie chuckled. "You start tomorrow. Now go tell Lucy and Molly, but be back in time for dinner!"

I was a blur as I ran as fast my legs could carry me with my tongue lolling out of my mouth.

Lonnie and I lived somewhere between the edges of the pack's territory and the center of the territory where the village was, which was where most wolves lived, including Lucy and Molly.

"Lucy, Molly!" I called as I neared their two dens side by side. The two wolves burst out at the same time as if on cue. We barked and laughed as we circled each other. Finally, we ran off to the Hot Springs.

"What's up? You seem as excited as Molly." Lucy asked. Molly's whole body shook with excitement as usual, and her tongue stuck out happily as she panted heavily.

"You won't believe it. I get to go to Alpha school with you guys!" I replied looking back and forth at each of them. All three of us screamed and jumped up and down as we twirled in the air like the bunch of girly girl teenagers we are.

Molly stopped abruptly and sniffed around as a scent was brought our way when the wind changed directions. I smelled it, too.

Rabbit.

And not just one rabbit, but three. We sprang into action, each one of us going after a different rabbit.

The one I followed had deep chocolate brown fur with white mittens on each foot. It jumped this way and that, but it couldn't throw me off the trail. The trees sped past me so fast that they were only a blur of brown and green. I sped up, bunched up my legs, and leaped to land with my jaws around the rabbit's neck. I clamped down and heard a crack as the rabbit went limp in my mouth.

I trotted back to the clearing to find the others emerging from the trees with their rabbits hanging from their mouths.

I laid my rabbit down on the grass and grinned. The others did the same.
Lucy was the first to speak, "You'll do fine in Alpha school. You should see some of the wolves there, I mean, they are good, but you just caught a young rabbit in record time!" She gave me a quick wink.

My tail wagged, and I replied, "I don't know. You guys caught the same thing in the same amount of time."

"But we have been going to Alpha school since we were eight. You're a fourteen year old wolf who is as good or maybe even better than two Alphas-in-training and has never gone to Alpha school before." Molly countered in her really high-pitched voice.

Lucy ginned at her. "She's right, you know," she said as she turned back to me with a smirk.

My tongue rolled free from my mouth, but then my eyes rested on the sky. My smile disappeared.

"Oh no! I have to get home! I told Lonnie I would be back before dinner! Bye!"

As I ran out of the clearing, I heard the girls yell "bye" back. With my rabbit in my mouth, I quickly ran home to get ready for tomorrow. For tomorrow was a new day and a new beginning.

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

Hey, you guys! What's up? So, I know that there is only one Alpha in the pack and that the omegas are the lowest of the low, but once again, my book is different; it makes it unique. So, thanks for reading and hope you enjoy. :)