Chapter Twenty Nine

Alpha stood at the front of the Alpha Cave, throwing orders left and right. "Kate, lead a hunting patrol with Lucy, Ivy, Whisk, and Twitch towards the cliffs."

I nodded my head before I ran out of the Alpha Cave with my patrol behind me. I always seem to lead patrols, but it was because I was one of the highest ranking Alphas. I was a pack Alpha, but I was also just one of the best Alphas. I ran through the village and the Golden Forest to the cliffs.

The lush green grass was replaced with the sandy, rocky soil of the cliffs. We were near the border which was the place where I had come back after I ran away. I shook the thought out of my head and continued to run forwards.

We reached the cliffs and put our noses to the ground. Ivy barked from the beginning of the cliffs to signal that she had found a scent. We followed her, and I took the lead. It was a caribou herd scent.

We ran through the valley with the cliffs on either side of us. The caribou herd appeared over a small ridge up ahead.

I flicked my ears back and forth to signal my patrol to get in position. Ivy led with me, each of us on one side of the valley. Twitch was behind me while Lucy was behind Ivy. Finally, Whisk was in the center of the valley and would stay behind the herd.

The caribou started to bellow and ran in the opposite direction of us. I growled and howled as my patrol gained speed. We slowly started to enclose the herd in our formation, just as we had wanted.

The wolves in my patrol snapped their teeth at the caribou to close them in. Lucy had found a weak caribou close to the left side of the herd. It would be hard for me to reach it since I was on the right side of the valley, but I have my ways.

I jumped up onto a ledge on the side of the cliff and backflipped off, landing squarely on the back of a caribou. I quickly leaped onto another caribou and another and another until I got close to the weak one. Ivy was on the back of another caribou on the other side of the weak caribou.

I was about to launch myself at its neck when suddenly the caribou jerked forward. My paws slipped forward, and I almost fell off of the caribou's back to land on the ground in the middle of the herd where I would be trampled to death.

I dug my claws into the caribou I was on as it bellowed in pain. I was able to pull myself back up; however, I watched as Ivy slipped off of her caribou and yelped as she hit the ground. "Ivy!" I screamed.

I heard foreign barking of wolves that didn't belong to my patrol, and when I looked to the front of the herd, I saw a group of wolves that were not only not part of my patrol, but not part of my pack.

Lucy, Twitch, and Whisk were no longer involved in hunting the caribou but were fighting the intruders.

I quickly turned back to Ivy with horrified eyes. I leaped off of the caribou and started to bark to separate them. The caribou ran around me and off, deeper into the cliffs.

Suddenly, a weight came crashing down on my back as snarling filled my ears. I flipped around and snarled at the wolf on top of me. I kicked him in the stomach and sent him flying. He landed on the ground but was back on his paws quickly. He launched himself at me again, but I ducked, and when he landed on my back, I tossed him up, sending him into the cliff wall.

He yelped and limped away after he had staggered to his feet. I turned to rest of my patrol to see them pushing the attacking wolves back. "This will be our territory! The River Valley Pack will take what is rightfully ours!" A gray and red wolf yelled at us before he ran off after the rest of his group.