Chapter Twenty

"Let the Alpha Award Ceremony begin!" Alpha called over the crowd of wolves. I sat in the front of the crowdwith Leo sitting next to me. It was time for the new Alphas-in-training to become Alphas. I was so excited. This was the first Alpha Award Ceremony that I would be able to watch that wasn't my own.

I, also, got to help with the PAW Tests earlier that day. Alpha had wanted me to be the lead hunter for the field test. I was so excited that I had hardly kept myself still when Alpha told me.

Captain Mace moved down the line of wolves, nodding and shaking his head. I saw one of the girls that I had worked with during the test shake with excitement as Captain Mace made his way to her. She reminded me of Molly. She was extremely energetic and positive about everything.

I could tell that she wanted to jump in the air when Captain Mace nodded his head at her. She glanced at me happily. I smiled and tilted my head to point towards the line of passing Alphas. Her smile grew as she trotted forward to stand beside the other new Alphas.

This is awesome. I love that I get to see others accomplish what I had tried so hard to do. I moved my head to look down the line of wolves, but my eyes landed on a single wolf that shouldn't be here. Well, of course she has the right to be at the Alpha Award Ceremony, but she shouldn't be standing with the Alphas-in-training, waiting to be told if she became an Alpha or not.

A growl rose in my throat as I stared at the dark gray pelt and yellow eyes. They seemed to pierce into me as she turned to look me straight in the eyes. She smirked before Captain Mace came to stand before her.

I could tell that Captain Mace was hesitant, but finally, he nodded. My jaw almost dropped to the ground. How could they let her become an Alpha?! She doesn't deserve it! Not her or her sister! Especially not her sister.

After all of the Alphas-in-training had found out what they would become, Alpha began to speak again. "These young wolves have worked their hardest to become leaders of our pack. We will honor them as they fulfill their duty to the Wild Pack. Alphas, do you take this position and vow to do your part and protect the pack even at the cost of your life?"

"Yes, sir," the new Alphas replied in unison.

"Then I, Terrek, Lead Alpha of the Wild Pack, officiate these wolves as Alphas," Terrek yelled to the sky. "Also, we have a special wolf here with us. Dart, please step forward." Dart stepped forward proudly. "Dart here is only a ten year old wolf, but she has shown that she is way ahead of her class. She is already ready to become an Alpha. However, because of her age, she will be unable to move up to a pack Alpha until she is at least fifteen like any other Alpha. But we have only had a handful of wolves either leave Alpha school early or join it late and still become an Alpha by fifteen. One of those wolves are here today. Kate," I stood up with surprise and Alpha nodded his head for me to come forward. "As many of you probably already know, Kate joined Alpha school when she was fourteen and managed to graduate with the other wolves in her age group at fifteen. These incredible achievements among our Alphas is one is the things that make us a stronger pack. Now, let's celebrate our new Alphas."

We cheered for the new Alphas, but I just couldn't take my eyes off of Dart. I will have to work with her probably. Ugh. That will be one of the worst days of my life.

I was jerked out of my thoughts as a voice called out to me. "Kate!" I turned with a smile to see all my friends running towards me with Lucy in the lead.

Lucy wrapped her muzzle around my neck, and I did the same. She looked at me with a smile. "This is so exciting. I just love watching these events." I nodded my head, completely understanding what she was talking about when I felt a cold nose on my flank.