Chapter Twenty Two

"Kate, lead a hunting patrol through the Deep Woods with Leo, Sunlight, Lucky, and Dart!" Alpha barked to me. I nodded my head and raced out of the Alpha Cave with my patrol following me.

Even though I may seem calm, trust me, my mind is in complete turmoil. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! I knew that at some point I would have to work with Dart.

I ran through the Golden Forest towards the Deep Woods. My group stayed silent, the only noise the sound of our paws thudding on the forest floor. Trees whizzed by, seeming like a flash of colors in my eyes.

As we approached the Deep Woods, I started to slow down. Once we reached the tree line, I started to sniff the ground with my group, walking deeper and deeper into the shadowy forest.

Now, there is a reason we call it the Deep Woods. The forest itself is very ominous. Just looking at the woods, if you weren't used to them, would give you shivers all along your spine. It's extremely dark throughout the forest by at least not dark enough to hinder our sight. The trees are closer together than in the Golden Forest, and they shade the ground from sunlight. There are stories of the Deep Woods that a monster of darkness lives among the shadowy trees, but the Wild Pack has always lived among the forest and no such monster has ever shown itself unless you consider a bear or an eagle a "monster of darkness".

Suddenly, a scent wafted up my nose. I took a deep breath and jerked my head up. "Deer," I said. Everyone froze and looked at me. "Five, six, no seven! It's a whole herd!" I yelled as I kept smelling the air. "Come on," I called to my group as I dashed through the woods, weaving my way through the trees.

A branch clipped my shoulder, but I just kept on running. The scent grew stronger as I reached deeper and deeper into the forest. I skidded to a stop as a lean tan shape loomed several yards ahead. I crouched down and stepped lightly forward.

The other wolves caught up, and we're now stalking forward behind me. I motioned with my ears for everyone to get in position. I moved to one side of the herd while Leo moved to the other. Sunlight moved behind Leo while Lucky stayed in the center behind the herd. Finally, Dart moved behind me.

All of a sudden, I howled. Darting forward, I ran into action. I ran as fast as I could to get to the front of the herd. "Sunlight, Lucky, Dart, start closing in!" I yelled. I glanced behind me to see Sunlight and Lucky following my instructions, but Dart jut ran forward. "Dart, I said move in!" I yelled to her. Still she didn't budge.

I growled before turning back to my task. I reached the front of the herd, and I tried to split the herd to get at a doe. I ducked my head as a buck swung his antlers at me. I barked at him before continuing to run. The bucks parted to give me the perfect shot at a doe.

I leaped forward, my jaws wide when a dark grey blur flew behind me. I glanced over my shoulder to see Dart leaping at the doe, too. "Dart!" I yelled as I pulled up short. Dart jerked to me, slightly missing the doe.

The herd ran faster, closing in together once again. We, being exhausted, started to slow down, panting.

I stood there for a moment catching my breath. We lost them. The whole herd. There was like ten deer in that herd, which is so rare! I whirled around on Dart. "How dare you?! Why didn't you follow my instructions?! We would have had them if you did!" I snarled in her face.

Dart dropped into a fighting stance as she growled at me. "You're not going to tell me what to do," she said through clenched teeth.

"Yes, I am! I am the lead hunter in this patrol. You aren't. So you listen to me," I snapped.

Dart howled. Thuds sounded on the ground, echoing through the forest. My patrol looked around at the surrounding trees. The undergrowth quivered before six wolves leaped through, snarling.