Chapter Eleven

I stood in a line with all of the wolves who took the PAW Tests earlier that day. It was time for the Award Ceremony. Each Alpha-in-training would either become an Alpha or never would.  The whole pack, including Lead Alpha, would be there.

After I went to the healer real fast, it was confirmed that I did have a bruised rib but no other major injury, but I didn't let that stop me from going to the ceremony.

Captain Mace stood at the end of the line, ready to begin as the Lead Alpha came through the center of the crowd towards a large overhanging rock. He was a huge, dark gray wolf with eyes that matched his coat. His muscles moved under his thick pelt, a Lead Alpha amulet around his neck which all Lead Alphas wore to resemble their leadership over the pack, and he walked with a purpose, his tail and head held high.

Behind him, a light gray she-wolf followed. She was absolutely beautiful, yet I could tell that she was a little bit older than Lonnie and Lonnie is like thirty something, with a perfectly groomed pelt and intense blue eyes. She sat next to Lead Alpha on the rock, and I realized that this wolf was Alpha's mate.

The large wolf sat taller as he yelled through the air with his deep voice, "Let the Alpha Award Ceremony begin!"

Captain Mace stepped toward the first wolf. He was a gray wolf that looked too lean and fragile to be an Alpha. I could see him tremble as Captain Mace stood in front of him. Captain Mace gave a nod of his head, and the young wolf walked towards the Lead Alpha. The skinny Alpha-in-training stayed where he was as Captain Mace moved down the row of wolves, either giving a nod of his head to tell them they passed or shaking his head when they didn't. If a wolf didn't pass, they had to go and sit in another section to watch the rest of the ceremony.

The next wolf that stood in front of Captain Mace was Stacy. Captain Mace continued to stare at her before he finally gave her his answer.

He shook his head.

My jaw almost dropped to the ground when I saw Stacy walk over to the section for Alphas-in-training that wouldn't become Alphas.

I was so sure that she would pass that now I doubted that I would become an Alpha either.

But when I looked to the wolf on my left, which was Leo, and on my right, which was Lucy and all of my friends beside her, I realized that I would stay an omega if it meant that my friends would become Alphas.

Captain Mace nodded to Leo, and Leo stepped towards Lead Alpha looking proud of himself.

Finally, it was my turn. I stood as tall as I could with my injured side, looking straight into Captain Mace's eyes. His expression was unreadable, and everything seemed to get quieter even though it was already silent.

Suddenly, Captain Mace smiled down at me and nodded his head.

I almost jumped into the air as soon as I saw that confirming nod. I tried to look as if I were confident when I walked, but my bruised rib just made me look clumsy.

After all of the Alphas had been chosen, which included all of my friends and half of the one hundred wolves in my class, Alpha stood up and looked down upon us.

The large wolf spoke loud and clear as he carried out the traditions of the ceremony. "These young wolves have worked their hardest to become leaders of our pack. We will honor them as they fulfill their duty to the Wild Pack. Alphas, do you take this position and vow to do your part and protect the pack even at the cost of your life?"