Chapter Twenty Five

"Fight me," I growled. The dark gray wolf leaped at me with his jaws wide, but I ducked under him and kicked his stomach, sending him flying. He landed with a yelp but was quickly back on his feet. He went to knock my legs from under me, but I jumped up and landed on the top of his back. He collapsed and after a minute, he stopped struggling.

I backed off of him, and he sat back up. "Nice work, Night, but be a little quicker and plan your strategy." He nodded his head. "Nila, fight with Night. The rest of you pair off and practice your skills." I called to the rest of the young Alphas-in-training. I weaved my way around them and watched them practice.

I had been so excited when Alpha had asked me to start teaching a fighting class with the young Alphas-in-training. And they were getting better. "Kilee, anticipate your opponents next move. Hazel, use your back legs to take Honey's paws from under her by sliding." I continued to deliver orders before Faith came running from inside the Alpha school.

I trotted up to greet her, but she seemed a little worried. "What's wrong, Faith?" I asked her.

"Alphas wishes to see you immediately," she replied. I nodded to her before I started to make my way to the village.

"Oh, and can you watch my class, please?" She nodded, and I smiled at her. I ran on the trail through the forest towards the village. I trotted the rest of the way to Alpha's den and called to him inside. He called for me to come in. "You wished to see me, Alpha?" I said as I sat in front of his den rock.

"Yes, Kate, we have had some...trouble," he started.

"What kind of trouble, Alpha?"

"It's Leo, Kate," I froze. A month ago, Leo had been chosen to go on a special hunt at the Wolf Hunting Grounds. Every year, a group of Alphas were chosen to go hunt in the Wolf Hunting Grounds, which are special hunting grounds where every single pack were allowed to hunt. The grounds are lush and green, but they also have some small cliffs. They are packed with prey around every corner. The hunting group is usually gone about a month, so they were supposed to be back anytime now. But what's wrong with Leo?

"The hunting group got back a week ago. But Leo left as soon as they got back. At first, we just thought he was spending time with you and your friends, but we later realized that he never went to meet you all. So, I sent some Alphas to track him. They said they lost his scent close to the border and couldn't find it again. You're the best tracker in the pack. I want you to see if you can track his scent and find him. I will send a group with you, led by Captain Mace." Alpha called several Alphas, and they came trotting into the den. It was a group of six and of course with Captain Mace at the front, standing tall and confident, and we left to find Leo.

I bet he's fine. Leo is a strong wolf, and they found his scent close to the border. He's fine. What could happen? He's an Alpha. I took a deep breathe and followed Leo's scent away from the village, towards the border.

The scent was faint, but still strong enough for me to smell it. I continued until the scent seemed to stop right in front of the border. I sniffed around the spot until I caught the faint whiff of Leo's scent coming from...over the border. I lifted my head in confusion and fear. Why was it over the border?

"He went over the border," I whispered half to my group, half to myself. The group looked around at each other in confusion. I slowly lifted my foot and placed it on the other side of the border.

Captain Mace stepped forward to whisper in my ear. "It's okay, Kate. We were told to find him. Now, we will." I nodded before I continued to walk over the border.

I ran ahead, leaping over the undergrowth of the forest outside the territory. I followed Leo's scent, weaving through the trees.

Soon, the once bright, sunny sky became dark with clouds. Shortly after, the rain started drizzling down, slowly growing into a downpour.

After following Leo's scent for some time, a new scent filled my nose. I had never smelled it before; it was completely new. Then I heard Captain Mace whisper, "Cougar." What's a cougar?

But I had no time to think about that. I had to find Leo. I ran forward again, following Leo's sweet scent. Suddenly, a shiver ran up my back, making me feel like something bad had happened as Leo's scent disappeared.

I ran back and forth trying to pick it back up, but it was gone. "No, no, no, no, no , no , no!" I yelled as I ran quicker trying to find the scent. "I can't lose him! I have to find him! I want to know what happened to him!"

Suddenly, an image flashed in front of my eyes. At first it was blurry, but then it slowly started to clear as I watched Leo trotting through the forest, tense with his nose to the ground.

My visions. Then I remembered when I thought Leo had left me for Stacy. When I had said that I wished I knew what really happened, I saw what really happened. The same was happening here. I wanted to know what happened to Leo, know I can know.

But I couldn't tell the other wolves, so I pretended like I smelled him as I ran along the path that Leo had taken. I watched the image as it showed me which way to go.

Finally, the image disappeared to be replaced by flashes of black, red, and gold. I heard snarls and hisses and yowls as I watched Leo fighting a long, golden creature with dark eyes. It had its jaws wide showing sharp teeth and claws sharper than thorns.

Leo tried to fight the creature off, but it repeatedly striked blows along his sides and neck. Leo collapsed to the ground breathing heavily as blood started to pour out of his many wounds.

The image disappeared, and I was back, running as fast as I could through the forest as the rain soaked my fur. Tears fell from my eyes just to mix with the falling rain.

"I'm coming, Leo, I'm coming," I said to myself. I listened to my paws thudding on the ground and the paws of the Alphas behind me.

The scent of the creature came back before Leo's scent did, but finally, I was using my nose to guide me. But I technically didn't need it. I saw everything. I saw where Leo went, I saw the creature, I saw...Leo lying, bleeding on the ground as the golden creature loomed over him.

We had been running for hours it seemed and the rain was thick, but ahead I could see a black heap on the ground. I ran faster until I was flying over the forest floor through the pouring rain.

I slid down next to Leo and looked over him. Blood still spilled from his wounds, and he now laid in a puddle of his own blood. "We have to get him back, now!" I screamed to the now caught up group of Alphas. "I'm taking him."

Captain Mace quickly stepped forward. "No, Kate. You aren't strong enough to carry him."

I had had enough. "He's my pre-mate, and I'm the fastest! He isn't going to die while I stand by watching!" I snarled in one of my angriest times I have ever used before.

Captain Mace looked slightly shocked, but I caught a little bit of admiration in his eyes. "You have to be quick, Kate. Get him back to the pack." I nodded before I quickly turned to Leo.

I nuzzled under Leo's still body and pulled him onto my back. I knew Leo was much heavier than me, but I didn't even feel the weight on my back as I flew back through the forest towards the pack borders.

The rain stung my eyes and face, but I wouldn't slow down. "Don't worry, Leo. I'll get you back. You would die for me, and I will die for you." I said as I ran on.

"You're my clarity."

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

"No, Leo!!!" I scream as Leo crashes to the ground after being clawed by a cougar. Well, you guys, do you remember several chapters ago when I told you you were going to be mad at me. Well, here's why. Will Leo survive? Will Kate make it back in time to save him? Possibly...not. Just kidding. I know what will happen but you don't. And you probably have already seen, I kind of like drama. It just depends on the drama really. Anyways, the song is Clarity by Zedd. I love this song, and I thought it would be great for Kate and Leo, especially as you can see in the last line of the chapter. Also, the picture is of Leo's bloody body in the rain. *Starts to softly cry* oh, Leo. Well, see you guys later. Have fun! Ask questions and comment! :)