Chapter Twenty One

I stared up at the moon shining down on me and the stars that twinkled in the dark blue sky. Tears still slowly leaked out of my eyes, but at least I wasn't full out sobbing anymore.

I can't believe Leo. I mean, how could he? I could never have imagined that he would hurt me like that. I thought he understood me. I thought he loved me.

More tears streamed down my face as I hung my head, staring down at my paws. I couldn't help but think once again that Leo had left me because I was a runt. I mean, Stacy hated runts. If he left me for her, does that mean he hates runts, too?

I looked back up at the sky. I thought about all of the fun times me and Leo have had together: swimming and hanging out at the Hot Springs, laying on the grass and watching the clouds drift by, howling at the full moon, playing together, hunting and patrolling the borders of the territory. And finally, his deep blue eyes that I lost myself in every time I stared into them. They were like a sea of blue that I would search forever.

I watched the stars sparkling in the sky. The little white spots covered the blue sky. I stared up as I saw the stars align into two wolves. A lean but muscular wolf and...a runt.

It was me. And Leo. Our two shapes danced across the sky, howling and playing like me and Leo used to always do. A single tear slid down my face as I watched the two wolves in the stars nuzzle together.

I closed my eyes, silently crying. Then I heard it. A soothing, low pitched howl sounded behind me. I didn't howl a response. I just sat there and listened, my eyes still closed. The howl sounded again but closer. After a third time, I heard the wolf sigh. I couldn't take it anymore. I howled my majestic howl, keeping my eyes closed and focusing on the notes. The wolf howled after me, this time a little happier. I bit back a smile as I howled another time.

The wolf came to sit next to me, his fur brushing delicately against mine. "Kate," he whispered.

I opened my eyes slowly and turned to look at Leo. His deep blue eyes showed sadness and concern.

I couldn't speak. Tears suddenly burst from my eyes. I sobbed my heart out as Leo came closer to comfort me. I tried to speak through my sobbing, but Leo told me not to.

After a couple of minutes, I lifted my head from where it rested on Leo's chest. I looked up into his eyes and whispered, "How could you?"

Leo stared down at me sadly. "I'm sorry. It wasn't what you think..."

I cut him off. "Don't you dare tell me that!" I screamed in his face as I jumped up onto my feet. "You left me, your pre-mate, for Stacy, the wolf that despises me and the wolf I despise! You left me for a rotten brat! Am I really that bad, Leo?! Is me being a runt really that bad?!" Leo slowly backed away, fear radiating off of his fur, as I ranted at him, my fangs bared. I calmed down as I started to whisper. "You hurt me. I-I thought you didn't love me be-because... I'm a runt." I hung my head, tears falling from my cheeks.

Leo took a few steps forward. "Hey, I would never leave you, even if you are a runt. I don't care whether you're a runt or not. I love you for who you are. I didn't love Stacy. I was trying to help her. She tricked me. She..." I shook my head at him.

I sighed. "Leo," I looked back up at him, "I don't know about that." I hung my head again. "I just can't say that I believe you. I don't know if I can... trust you." I glanced up to see hurt in Leo's eyes.

"Kate, please," Leo took a step forward, his voice desperate, "you have to believe when I say I love you. I don't love Stacy. I was just trying to help her." This is ridiculous.

I chuckled. "I can't believe that you think that I would believe that. What, now you think I'm dumb?! That you can just lie to me and get away with it?!"