Prologue

„My Lord?"
„Yes, Humboldt?", Anthony replies without looking up from the letter he was just writing.
„My Lord - Master Colin arrived."
„Colin is here?" Anthony repeats while standing up from his chair. The third Bridgerton brother had been traveling for a whole year now. He was actually awaited to arrive two weeks ago and no one knew why he was late. The Viscount tried to play cool around his family, but secretly he had feared that something might have happened to his brother. Thank God, he is here now.

„Colin is back?", Benedict asks happily as he enters the room.
„Brother! I told you many many times by now that you must not listen to what is discussed in this room, no matter to whom I'm talking!"
Benedict just smiles brighter as he responds: „As the second oldest I think it should be my right to be informed about everything directly after you, Annie"
„Don't call me Annie!", Anthony bursts out, making Benedict laugh. The Viscount doesn't say anything else, he just makes his way to greet his brother.
„You know, we would have stopped calling him that, if he learned to not freak out every time", Benedict informs Humboldt, while both of them follow the Viscount's lead.
„My Lords", Humboldt says, as they almost reach the door, „you two may want to meet Master Colin alone at first."

„Why?" Benedict and Anthony ask simultaneously.
"Is he hurt?", Anthony add.
Humboldt looks visibly uncomfortable. „No, Sir, he is at best health, but-"
„MAMA! Mama, Colin is here!"
Hyacinth's voice echoes through the whole first floor, making the three men jump a little. Before Anthony or Benedict even have gained the chance to stop them, Hyacinth and Gregory pass them and become the first ones to go outside to welcome their beloved brother.

The two eldest Bridgerton siblings immediately follow their lead, hoping to reach.. whatever Humboldt was reffering to, before their younger siblings.
And there he is - smiling happily at his family members and opening his arms to embrace Hyacinth and Gregory into a lovely hug. Violet and Eloise storm immediately outside, too. El almost kicks Benedict to the floor, but the second eldest is in a good mood and didn't say anything. Anthony would have been mad about it for sure.
„He seems completely fine", Anthony mumbles to Benedict, while he realises that Humbolt had not followed them outside.
„He does", Benedict reassures him, „but why didn't he just come inside then?"

„Are you going to kill me with your stares or do you think of coming over and hugging me welcome, too, brothers?" Colin's voice made Anthony realise that they were standing around and whispering while everyone else watched them. Even Daphne had arrived in the meantime. Fran is not at home, she's taking piano lessons. Benedict is the first one to compose himself. „We were just discussing, if you have been always this ugly, Brother", he comments as he embraces his brother. Anthony follows his lead. „What have you done?", he whispers into Colin's ears, while hugging his brother a little bit longer than necessary.

„Why are we still outside?", Hyacinth asks her mother, who was just about to wipe away her tears of happiness. Violet Bridgerton had been as worried as Anthony in the past weeks, but she also stayed as calm as possible, in order to not freak her children out. „You are right, we shall go inside", she says and turns away to take the lead, but Colin stops her:
„Actually... I have brought someone that I wish to introduce to you."
Anthony and Benedict share a glance. So that was what Humboldt had warned them about.
„Of.. of course, my dear. A friend of yours is a friend of ours. Invite him in."

Colin smiles. Benedict can see that he is releaved. „Well.. go in then, I will follow you. She needs a little help to come out the carriage, because -"
„SHE?", Gregory shouted. Anthony could feel every single bone of his body tense. He opens his mouth to say something, but his mother is faster: „COLIN BRIDGERTON! What - have - you - done?"
Colin in the meantime opened the carriage and helped the mysterious woman outside.

Just like his brother Benedict could feel every inch of his body tensing, but it was not out of anger. Colin carries the woman out of the carriage and helps her stand on the ground next to him. She looks up shyly and Benedict directly sees eye to eye with an angel. There is no other description possible. She is rather short, but absolutely stunning. Long, brown hair that is messed up and wavy from the long travel, little, rather exotic, almond-shaped green eyes, a mouth so full and naturally dark colored, he had never seen before. She is perfect, she is  someone he never knew existed and yet already the one thing he wants more than anything in his life.

„Did you marry without telling us?", Daphne asks surprised.
Benedict can feel something literally punching his stomach after hearing this words. Of course, he thinks , Colin brought her.. she is Colin's.. she belongs to Colin.
„No! I did not marry", Colin answers, clearly confused about that question.

„You brought your mistress to us?", Anthony comments, absolutely disgusted.
„What? No!", Colin responses, „everyone, this is Thunderbi-„
„Sofia", the angel intervenes. Benedict can literally feel his legs shaking when hearing her voice. How could one person be so perfect?

„My name is Sofia. I had a little accident. I.. I fell from a cliff and Colin - Mr. Bridgerton - was so kind to take care of me and to help me recover." She has clearly an accent, but it's still the most perfect sound Benedict has ever heard.
„Well then.. Sophia", Violet is the first to compose herself, „come in. Daphne, tell the maid that we need a guest room ready in an hour."
„It's Sof-ya, not Soph-i-a", she corrects Lady Bridgerton, but Violet, Daphne and a quite reluctant Eloise had already stormed inside to prepare for the guest.

„You will come to my office first", Anthony Commander and points at Colin and Benedict, then he looks to Sofia, „Miss, you can follow my sisters and mother inside. They can show you the dining room."
„What about me?", Gregory asks.
„You can play outside", Colin decides. Gregory is not really happy about that.
„I.. I am not able to walk this long paths on my own yet, Sir", Sofia answers, blushing.
Benedict feels the sudden urgency to kiss her cheeks, but doesn't do as such of course.

„I will bring you there", he immediately says and reachs for her hand, but she takes her fingers away.
„I will carry Sofia inside and then come to see you two", Colin decides and easily lifts her up. Benedict hates that she doesn't hesitate to jump into his brother's arms.
Colin doesn't wait for an answer or maybe Anthony gave him one and Benedict didn't hear it? Anyway, he makes his way up to the dining room, while Anthony and Benedict silently go to the office.
Sofia, Benedict thinks , while he successfully ignores his brother's monologue which would actually be a dialogue if he cared to listen.

He can't help himself but smile.