10

Sofia Bridgerton has spent the first night in her new home alone, crying in her bed. Benedict had told her that he was going to move into one of the guest rooms, but she heard him leaving the house a few minutes later. He probably realized that all of his clothes are still in the bedroom that he planned on sharing with his wife and decided to sleep somewhere else instead of facing Sofia again.

When Sofia heads to the saloon for breakfast, her husband has still not returned home yet. Her maid brings her a cup of tea and a little plate with bread and eggs, because she knows that this is what Sofia prefers eating in the morning. Thunderbird had actually refused to hire servants for their new home, ensuring Benedict that she could cook and do everything else, but Anthony refused to even consider this. „The only job you will have as a Bridgerton, is to have a ton of kids with my brother", he explained to Sofia, making her blush.

Sofia sips her tea, but is really not feeling hungry at all. She is just about to call back her maid, as the door to the room is opened. She looks up hopefully, expecting her husband, but to her surprise, Anthony and Colin enter the room.
Sofia stands up immediately, because that's what she learned growing up: when a man who is older than her enters the room, a girl has to stand up and wait till he sits down first.
„Good morning", she says, forcing herself to smile, „come in. Let me tell the servants to bring you breakfast and some tea"
„That's not necessary, Sofia", Anthony starts, but his sister-in-law has already left the room. She comes back a few seconds later. „Why are you still standing? The breakfast should be served in a minute."

„You look awful", Colin states, as he sits down. Anthony chooses to sit on the seat opposite to his brother, pointing at Sofia to sit down on the edge of the table, directly between them. Sofia feels uncomfortable about it, but she obeys.
„Where's my brother?", Anthony asks.
„He left the house yesterday", Sofia whispers. She had hoped that Benedict would spent the night in the Bridgerton house, but apparently he had chosen to sleep somewhere else.

„What? Did he.. did he leave you?", Colin asks in disbelieve.
Sofia shakes her head. „He said that the marriage is going to last.. but only on paper."
„What else did you talk about?"
„Nothing. I tried to explain to him, but he didn't believe me and left... what did Selim tell you yesterday?"

„He told us that you guys technically eloped and almost married five years ago", Anthony starts „but you arrived to late to the officiant, so the marriage was postponed to the next day. In that night - especially because you both were too afraid your father might find you and take you back- you.. well decided to fulfill the marital duties one night earlier. But..."
„But I was already a woman", Sofia concludes as Anthony stops talking. The eldest Bridgerton nods.

„What really happened between you and this farmer's boy?"
Sofia turns her head towards Colin. She is visibly surprised. „What do you mean?"
„The Sofia I know would have never betrayed the man she loved", Colin states.
Sofia can feel the tears building up in her eyes. „Thank you", she whispers.
„Tell us what really happened", Anthony demands. He never really had the sentimentality that his younger brothers seem to have inherited.

Sofia looks at the cup of tea she is holding in her hands. The cup is shaking heavily, as she tries to compose herself. „You wouldn't believe me anyways", she finally says.
„Of course we would. We Bridgerton men all are quite good listeners and don't really judge anyone."
„Not all of you apparently", Sofia bursts out.
„Hey!", Anthony complains, „I am not as bad as you guys keep picturing me."
Sofia looks at him. „No! No, I.. I wasn't talking about you."

„Benedict didn't believe you?!", Colin bursts out, „I swear, I'm going to kill him"
„Colin", Anthony gives him a warning look. Then he turns to Sofia. „We're listening."
„You will definetly believe me?", Sofia once again asks.
„Without a doubt", Anthony promises.
„Good", she says, while trying to hold back the tears, „because my dad didn't believe me... Selim didn't believe me... Benedict didn't believe me... I don't know if I could live if anyone else doesn't believe me."