XVII

Theo had neglected to mention that she had never been on a plane before. Even one as fancy as this was causing her some severe anxiety, making her stomach flip and turn. They were flying first class, but considering it was a short flight, there wasn't any ridiculous add ons that Theo had seen on other first class planes when she'd looked it up.

Theo had been doing her best to not cling to her girlfriends arm as they got in the plane, but Esmé, ever perceptive as she was had noticed she wasn't comfortable.

They were seated, and the plane was readying for takeoff. Esmé was sorting through some business documents, focus off Theo, who started to panic.

She tried to speak but no words came out, needing Esmé's attention away from her documents for a few moments. As the plane began to move, Theo started to tremble and turned to look at Esmé desperately.

The woman was reading over a document, and her eyes followed it as she reached her free hand over, squeezing Theo's thigh securely.

Theo moved Esmé's hand to her other thigh, the one furthest from Esmé, who accepted the movement and wrapped her hand around it, gripping firmly. Theo held onto her arm desperately.

The plane hadn't taken off yet, just turned to get in place on the runway, but the moment it started rushing down it, Theo felt like she was about to have a heart attack.

"Sweet girl," Esmé turned to her, document stowed away. Theo was staring directly ahead, refusing to look out of the window and quivering. Esmé squeezing her thigh harder, putting her other hand over Theo's that were clinging to her.

"Why is it doing that?!" She panicked as a weird sensation came over her whilst they picked up altitude.

"You're okay," Esmé reassured, trying to keep her voice calm. "You should have mentioned you don't like planes."

"I've never been on one!" Theo defended. "How was I to know?!"

"Okay," Esmé swallowed her irritation, sliding her hand up from Theo's thigh to grip her waist. "I've got you, you're safe."

"Esmé, I don't like it," Theo said, tears in her eyes.

"I know, my sweet, but you're safe," she soothed.

"How?! It's a tin can with wings! If humans were meant to fly they'd have wings and they don't!"

The plane soared into the sky and Theo squeaked, nails digging into Esmé's arm. Esmé didn't shove her off or react poorly, she just held her tighter.

When the plane levelled out and the seatbelt light went off, Esmé pulled a hand away to unbuckle herself, quickly pushing the armrest between their chairs up and out of the way, undoing Theo's belt.

"No! No!" Theo begged. "Don't feel safe!"

Esmé ignored her, pulling her into her lap, wrapping her arms securely around her waist.

"I have you," she whispered into her ear, holding her close. "You're safe, Theodora, I have you."

"I don't like it, I really don't."

"It's for three and a half hours," Esmé explained. "Not too long."

"Not too long?!" Theo shuddered. "That's ages!"

"Not compared to other flights."

"But this isn't other flights! This is this flight!"

"Theodora," Esmé's patience was starting to wane. "I've been on hundreds of flights and not once has there been a problem."