XXIII

Stretching out, Theo stood from the chair in her office. Just a thousand more words and she would be done with her dissertation. Or at least, another draft of it. Taking Minerva's advice had proven to be useful, and Theo had not only raided Esmé's academic library, but also picked her brain for other relevant information.

Before she got on with the last little bit, she needed to take a break. Glancing at the glass wall between her and Esmé's office, she noticed the woman had darkened the glass to keep her from peering in, which Theo didn't even know they could do.

Since they'd gotten back a month ago, Esmé had been wildly busy with the company, but she still made time for everyone in her family. A new rule had been put in place; nobody works on a Sunday. Not because it was a holy day, but because Esmé wanted at least one day a week where everyone spent time together.

They'd watch a movie, go to a park and play games. As a unit, all three adults had been teaching Ada how to play Uno and she had a better grasp of the game than William did. Once Ada went to bed, the three would watch a series, fill each other in on their weeks.

William had demanded quite forcefully that they have a date night at least once a month. He said they didn't have to go out for the date, but he would like it if they did, otherwise it was more or less what they were already doing on a Sunday.

That man had been completely normal when they'd gotten back. Except for his bare face and short hair, nothing else was different. When they'd come through the front door, he'd approached Esmé with caution and she'd stared at him blankly.

She'd touched his cheeks and jawline, running her nails up and over his buzz cut, humming in consideration. With a final sigh, she'd kissed the corner of his mouth, accepting that this was going to be the new normal for however long it lasted.

Theo would still catch her staring at him, studying his face intently. It did throw Theo off a couple of times, especially in the morning when she wasn't properly awake.

By now, she'd adjusted to seeing him this way.

Esmé would often go to stroke his hair or beard and then stop when she remembered it wasn't there, glaring at him in mild annoyance which always made him laugh.

Theo's relationship with William had been flourishing too. She found herself looking forward to the weekly game session they would have on Friday evening whilst Esmé finished up all the work for the week. It was fun and Theo wished she'd done this sooner.

That wasn't the only relationship that had grown.

Mona and Diana, much to Theo's prediction, got on like a house on fire. They fuelled each other's chaotic energy, much to Esmé's chagrin. It was funny how all three of them had struggled to make meaningful friendships their entire lives, and were now practically inseparable.

Diana had proposed to Vivienne in the complete opposite way she'd wanted to. The woman had planned a whole thing by the waterfall on Esmé's property. She had a whole speech prepared but ended up freaking out on the day, and instead blurted out the question with her eyes squeezed shut.

Theo and Mona had been hovering at one of the huge windows, impatiently waiting for their return. When they saw the couple, with the ring on Vivienne's finger, Mona cracked open a bottle of expensive champagne she'd swiped from the bar, nearly cracking the window with the cork.

One thing Theo hadn't been surprised at was Ada's new relationship with Mona. The woman had quickly assumed the role of the Cool Aunt with blue hair, tattoos and a motorbike. Ada had asked to go on it, and Esmé immediately said no, threatening Mona with a single glare.