VI

Since William's birthday, Theo avoided the couple as much as possible. Not only did she have many assignments that she needed to complete, but she also didn't want to be around the iciness that Esmé radiated. The young woman was unsure if the coldness was aimed at her, William, or them both, but either way, she didn't want to be near it.

There were times when it was completely unavoidable, such as dinner, car journeys and lectures, however, it was made clear that any interaction that happened was only happening because it couldn't be avoided.

What didn't help any situation that Theo was in when it came to the Valentines, was the dreams she kept having.

Since the night Esmé had wrapped her hand around Theo's throat, it was all that flooded her mind at night. At most, it was a welcome distraction from the consistent nightmares and it meant that she was sleeping at least a little.

But it was making her needy. It truly did amaze Theo how much one action could affect her, but when she thought about it, had anyone else kissed her like that and showed dominance over her like that, she wouldn't be reacting the same way.

It was because it was Esmé. This was a woman that Theo craved affection from, she craved touches, little glances, a small smile or a playful smirk. Theo wanted Esmé to be in every room that she was in. The intimidation that filled the room when Esmé would walk in, the nerves that would bounce around her body.

Even with Esmé being cold with her, as much as Theo knew she didn't like it, she was finding that the feelings she felt before were amplified tenfold and it confused her.

Still, it was the dreams that would knock the breath out of her. Many times in her mind Esmé would wrap her hand around Theo's throat whilst another hand roamed her body.

Other times it would be Esmé's mouth, her teeth, her tongue, her lips, all over Theo's throat, biting and nipping, leaving marks as she trailed her way down.

Some times, not often though, William would be involved in the dreams.

More often than not it was just Esmé. Whether that be her giving Theo's body a lot of attention, or her using Theo for own pleasure, she would always be there.

As pleasant as it all sounded, it also was terrifying for Theo. Every single time she had one of these dreams, it would start shifting and changing. One minute it would be Esmé there, and then she would be gone and George would be in her place.

The dreams would take nasty turns very quickly and Theo would wake up petrified, backed up against the headboard of the bed, shivering.

One such time, Theo had woken up with a start. Her body had shot up from the bed in a panic whilst she choked. In her dream, Esmé had been trailing her sharp nails over her throat, before grabbing it, but when Theo looked up, it wasn't Esmé at all, it was George. He had this sick, twisted grin on his face.

Theo shook herself, trying to get the image out of her head and glanced at her clock.

01:32

Falling back onto her bed, she rubbed her face. Her throat was incredibly dry and so she got up, wrapping a dressing gown around herself as she left her room to get some water.

As she came down the stairs, she could hear muffled voices, hushed but irritated. There was no way she could make out what was being said, but Theo, rather than turning around and going back to bed, hesitantly sneaked past the living room and to the kitchen.

Just as she went to enter it, she stopped as the voices raised a little and then cut off.

Peering around the door frame to see if the couple had left, Theo was met with a sight she had never expected to see whilst living there.