XXVI

All too soon the funeral had come around. Theo had never seen so many people dressed in black. In fact, she'd never seen this many people in the mansion before.

Clarion and Eros were there along with Bailey and Amelia, who would be staying at the mansion with Ada, Diana and Vivienne.

Elene and Atlas stood together. Elene was eyeing Mona and Minerva, who were talking quietly under the grand staircase.

William's mother and father were talking with Luke and Katherine.

Taking a deep breath, Theo started down the stairs.

"Theodora," Elene called her over. When she reached her, Elene nodded towards Mona and Minerva. "Give it two years, they'll be married."

"Ma," Atlas warned.

"Tell me it's a lie," she snapped at him. "I've been saying it for years."

"Leave them alone," he said, voice tired. "If it happens, it happens, but let them decide that. Don't meddle."

Elene tutted at him before turning to Theo.

"Your daughter is sweet," she said. "I've seen her with Esmé. The little one worships the ground she walks."

"She does," Theo said with a smile. The night they'd told Ada about William, they'd all slept in the same bed, snuggled into each other. Elene had seen them the following morning, the way Ada was snuggled into Esmé's neck as she made her morning tea.

Ada hadn't wanted to go to school, so Theo had called in and told them she'd be off until after the funeral. Up until today, the little girl had clung to Esmé, reluctant to let her go in case she also left to be with Icarus and William.

Whilst Theo and Esmé knew that wasn't happening any time soon, Ada did not know this and she worried after the woman frequently.

Bailey, Amelia and the dogs had been a good distraction so far, but Theo knew it wouldn't last.

"Here we go," Mona muttered, having come over to stand with them. Theo noticed Minerva had gone to the security team to talk with them.

Esmé had appeared at the top of the stairs, surveying the room with a cold expression.

The black dress was simple. It wasn't fancy, it didn't cling to her figure like most of her clothing did. There was a slight hug to her waist line, but not too much.

Green eyes settled on Theo and Esmé walked down the stairs, coming to stand with her.

"Stay with me today," she said, voice quiet and strained. Now she was close, Theo could see the tremble in her body, the slight fidgeting of her hands and how uneven her breathing was.

"I promise," Theo replied firmly, and her tone seemed to calm Esmé down as she took a deeper breath and then checked her watch.

"We should start heading over," she said, turning towards the door where the others were gathered. Theo, Atlas and Elene followed her outside, where Minerva was leaning against her Dodge.

"You two are with us," she gestured to Theo and Esmé, and they walked over. Theo watched as everyone else was herded into a series of all black Bentleys. There were two black Range Rovers, one in front of Minerva's Dodge, one behind the last Bentley.

"Is this necessary?" Esmé asked, agitated.

"You tell me," Minerva replied, "is your safety necessary? Is Theo's safety necessary?"

"I highly doubt-,"

"Let me do the doubting. Now get in," Minerva opened the back door and gestured. Esmé huffed at her, but did so, sliding along the dark red leather to the other side so Theo could get in.