II

The following Saturday, in a large car park in front of the main supermarket, a little ginger girl was wandering around aimlessly. Several people stopped their carts and glanced over, wondering why such a young girl was without a parent, but no one actually bothered to go over to her.

"Do I really have to explain myself for the third time?" A familiar voice caught the small girl's attention and without a care for the world, she began to toddle across the road that separated the cars from the shop.

"You didn't really explain it the first or second time," a deep male voice replied. "You just repeated yourself." Mrs Valentine appeared around the side of a white car, and the little girl recognised her and waved.

"Hello!" She kept calling out as she got halfway across the road, stumbling slightly. Mrs Valentine glanced over, looked away, and then looked back once she realised who was coming towards her. Ada was waving and smiling, uneven on her own feet. Green eyes moved to look down the road, to see the car that was driving faster than it should be, making a beeline for Ada.

Within a few seconds, Mrs Valentine had closed the distance between her and the little girl, grabbing her under the arms and lifting her up, moving them both out of harm's way. The car skidded to a halt as brakes were slammed on.

"Watch your fucking child!" The driver yelled angrily and Mrs Valentine half sneered.

"Maybe you should stick to the speed limit!" She snapped back.

"We're in a goddamn car park there isn't-," he started to argue but the woman cut him off.

"I think you will find the speed limit is five miles per hour, as stated by that sign over there," she pointed to it.

"Maybe keep your child on reigns if you can't control it!"

"Maybe give up your license if you don't know road laws," a sandy-haired man with a very deep voice appeared on the other side of the car. "I agree that the child should be kept an eye on, but you're also in the wrong."

"Also, for your information," Mrs Valentine's voice was chilly. "The little girl is not mine."

"Then maybe the parents should keep it-," This time the driver was cut off by the man.

"It's a shopping centre, mate. Kids are gonna be wanderin' about. Both parties are in the wrong."

"Oh fuck off," the man rev'ed his engine and then proceeded to speed off.

"Blobhead," the sandy-haired man muttered and then gestured for Mrs Valentine to cross back over. "In other news, I ain't seen you move that fast to protect an ankle biter in years, darlin'." Mrs Valentine shook her head and crossed the road, standing beside him. "Who is she?" His voice was gentle and non-accusatory. At first, she was a little hesitant.

"Do you remember last week?" She asked and he seemed to pause, his bright blue eyes watching her curiously.

"Yep."

"Well," she sighed and her eyes drifted to the small child that seemed quite happy to sit on her hip. "This is Ada," she explained, before looking away and scanning the area for Theodora, who was nowhere.

"Mother's a red-head?"

"Yes."

"I'll have a look about."

Fifteen minutes later and still there was no sign of Theodora. Mrs Valentine had gone to sit in the car with Ada. Her husband had gone inside the shop to alert the security that they had the little girl with them. When he finally emerged from the store, Mrs Valentine sat up a little straighter as Theo came out with him. The young woman looked a mess, eyes puffy, hands running through her hair, eyes darting about. The second that grey eyes met green, Theodora ran across the road. Mrs Valentine got up and opened the back door of her car, guiding Ada out gently.