IV

Theodora woke up to chirping. Slowly her other senses started to awaken, but she kept her eyes shut. The smell of cherry blossom and sweet vanilla filled her nose and she smiled a little, burrowing her face deeper into the soft, soothing silk dressing gown that was covering her beneath the blanket. She vaguely remembered Esmé covering her with it last night. It smelt so, so good, and the feel of the fabric against her skin was so incredibly calming, especially since she was sore. It was then when she realised that her skin hurt, and her arms hurt, and her chest and lower back hurt, that she remembered exactly where she was and why she was there. Her grey eyes snapped open and the first thing she saw was Suki, who was sitting on the floor in front of her, staring at her and chirping quietly.

The second thing that she noticed, was that the harp stool was empty. The third thing was the voices coming from behind the door as the handle turned and then cracked open slightly.

"I will be fine with her, stop worrying so much," Esmé was whispering.

"If you don't want to then I'll stay here-,"

"William," Esmé's voice, as quiet as it was, became harsh. "I have told you so many times, I do want to stay here with her. Let me comfort her in my way, that I am comfortable with. Everything will be all right."

"If you need anything, let me know."

"Just take care of Ada. Anything happens to her and I promise you, I will cause you severe damage."

"Why can't she stay here with you two?"

"Because Theo needs a day. She needs a day to care for herself and no one else. It is easier for her to do that with just me in this house. If Ada wants to come home then I will come and get her, but you are working at the shelter today and I am certain she would love to be with the animals."

"Fair enough. Are you taking Theo out for a spa day?"

"Good lord no," Esmé seemed appalled. "No, my plans are my own. Go to work."

"Bye bye Esmé!" Ada's happy voice giggled.

"Goodbye, sweetheart," Esmé's voice showed her smile. "Have fun today."

"Okay!"

It went quiet. Suki stopped chirping and Theo sat up, separating the dressing gown from the blanket and wrapping it around herself, pulling her legs up and burying her face into it again. The sofa bed dipped and Theo glanced up to see Esmé sitting there, another dressing gown wrapped around herself.

"Do you want it back?" Theo asked quietly, lifting the dressing gown. Esmé shook her head.

"You enjoy the smell far too much for me to take it away. The smell will fade, though," she said.

"You can have it back later," Theo replied and Esmé shook her head.

"I will alternate them. You slept soundly for once and I believe that many factors played a part in that, the dressing gown being one of them. No, I will alternate between a few so you always have the smell near you," she said calmly and Theo smiled at her.

"Thank you."

"It is still early if you wish to go back to sleep."

"How early?"

"Seven," Esmé replied and Theo nodded.

"I'm awake now unless you want to go back to bed?" Esme chuckled at her.

"No. Very rarely do I return to my bed once I have left it. I have run a bath in the master bathroom if you would like it."

"Didn't you run it for yourself?" Theo questioned and Esmé shrugged.