Chapter Eleven - 'Forgive'

My eyes twitched at the harsh light penetrating through my eyelids. I groaned as I twisted my body over, shoving my face into the fabric, blocking the annoyance. I tried to settle back into the comfort of slumber, but as I did, a smell of crisp bacon wafted over my face, drifting up my nose. My eyebrows crossed as I sighed, frustrated. My mind seeped from 70 percent of sleep, to 10 percent within an instant, and once it reached that 10 percent, I remembered where I was. My eyes shot open, bringing me face to face with the unfamiliar pastel yellow painted ceiling.

Pushing myself upwards, I rubbed my eyes, paranoid of my dishevelled appearance.

"Morning" I heard Phoenix greet from behind the couch

I didn't respond. I couldn't. My throat itched, my mind hazed. Before I could emerge, I attempted to pat down my hair, pulling it frantically into a low ponytail.

Surprisingly, I realized just how well I had actually slept. My eyes were focused and with some forced demands, my mind soon followed in pursuit.

I stood, picking the blanket up with me, tossing it over the back of the lounge neatly.

Instantly I could feel a pair of eyes roam over me.

"How did you sleep?" He asked, standing in the kitchen behind the stove

"Fine" I shrugged, picking my discarded jacket up off the floor, unsure of how it had gotten off of my body to beside the couch

"What's the time?" I mumbled, pulling my black hoodie back on, wincing as my shoulder ached

"Eight"

"Eight?" I repeated "Shit"

Suddenly Phoenix turned, his eyebrows raised, his face clean

"A curse word" He sighed "My lifestyle is already rubbing off on you"

I rolled my eyes and pulled on my boots, rushed to leave. School had started, and I was once again late.

"Like I said, I'm not all innocence"

His face dropped to an unreadable expression as he watched me

"Thanks for letting me crash, but I'm late, I gotta go" I told him, moving towards the front door with my shoelaces hanging loose

"You want a ride?" He called

"No thanks" I called back, pulling the front door open

"It'll take you half an hour if you walk" I faintly heard him reply, my hand pausing on the outside of the door. My eyes squeezed shut, my forehead pushing into the wood. I needed to get to school, no matter the fact I was still dressed in jeans and a shirt from the night before. I couldn't afford to have another day off, I couldn't afford to miss any more classes.

Hesitantly, I called back to Phoenix in the apartment "Fine, I need a ride!"

-

Sitting in an early 1990's black two-door, I leaned my elbow on the window pane. I kept my eyes out on the road, my mouth tightly held shut. There were too many things running through my head now that I was completely awake and alert. Questions shrouded over Phoenix and the entire ordeal last night. I forced myself not to speak of it. I forced myself to remember that I was falling behind in school work. I needed to focus on what was important in my life, and if I ignored the underground fight-ring going on, perhaps it would slowly die off. Or so I hoped.

Every now and then, I would feel Phoenix's eyes on me, scanning over my silence with uncertainty. He wanted to say something, I could feel it, but for some reason, he too kept his mouth shut. I wondered if he had the same trail of thought I did. If he kept his mouth shut, kept his distance, it would all go away. I hoped that it was what he was thinking, because I wasn't sure I was strong enough to keep myself from making another idiotic decision, one that would land me in the firing line, again. He needed to push me away, it was what I needed.