Chapter Twenty Eight - 'Date Night'

While enduring the discomfort of settling silence, it was typical of my body to insist on making it even more uncomfortable with the sensation of my bladder about to burst.
I cursed under my breath, knowing that Phoenix was awake on the couch. I wore only biker shorts and an oversized hoodie that made it look like I wasn't wearing pants at all. The trek to the bathroom would be a brave one.
I tried to talk myself into not giving in to my body, but it had lasted only a few more minutes before I knew I needed to surrender.

Gritting my teeth, I lifted my body out of bed narrowly missing Dee's head at the end of the bed with my foot. She hadn't budged as I moved, far too comfortable to care where I was going. I did my best to be silent with my movements. Tip-toeing across the floor behind where the couch sat, I hoped to make it to the bathroom without being spotted.

I had made it half way there when he spoke

"You okay?"

Moving swiftly across the rest of the room, I answered "Yep, I'm good"
It came out fast, nervous, I knew he wasn't stupid enough to not notice, so I darted into the bathroom and closed the door behind myself. Leaning on the back of the door, I closed my eyes and cursed.

I took my sweet time, washing my face, brushing my teeth, brushing my hair, hoping he'd fall back to sleep, after about fifteen minutes, I knew I could no longer avoid it. I couldn't hide out in the bathroom forever, it would look both weird and weak.

Glancing over my appearance in the mirror I blew out a deep breath and shook the cowardice from my body before I made my exit.

The moment I did, my eyes met with Phoenix who stood in the kitchen, in the direct path of my walk back to bed.

He was popping pills into his palm, a glass of water in the other hand. We both did what each other had unintentionally done, glancing up and down one another's appearance.
Thankfully it wasn't just me, it was him too, now we could both feel as equally embarrassed. He had only track suit pants on, the remainder of his skin bare

Frozen in place I wasn't sure if I should have run to bed, casually strolled, or waited until he said something. I felt ridiculous and awkward.

I watched him drink his tablets down, and then he turned his eyes on my position in between the bathroom door and the way back to bed.

Slowly he placed his glass down on the bench but his gaze remained on mine

"You waiting for something?" He asked

I shook my head, mentally remembering where I was and what I was doing. Pulling my eyes away from him, I awkwardly strolled back to bed where I pulled the blankets entirely over my head.

I listened carefully as he rummaged through the kitchen for a few minutes, and then the space became quiet again.

Surprisingly it didn't take me long to fall asleep. The warmth, the darkness and the security I felt beneath the covers had aided me into slumber.

A few hours later, the heavy rays of sunlight dove in through the windows and small cracks on the roof, burning into my skin and face. I itched and groaned, tossing over until I lay flat on my back. Dee had become annoyed at my rough and frustrated movements, grumbling, she quickly surrendered, jumping off the bed.

My brain returned to reality, entering life from the blackness behind my eyelids.
Today was the day.

-

Standing in front of the mirror after my shower, I stared at my reflection. I was nervous, leaning my hands on the sink. I had brushed my hair, tying it into a messy fishtail braid at the nape of my neck. My eyes were highlighted with dark mascara and eyeliner, my cheeks pinched with a little brown contour. I wanted to look presentable, yet not as though I had put too much effort in. It was a strange concept. Trying without looking like I had tried.