Chapter Sixteen - 'Nightmare'

"Jett and Phoenix, what is it that you two do for a living?" Oscar spoke; turning the conversation over a new leaf, sensing my anxiety as he also placed a hand on my knee under the table

"I work at a nightclub downtown as a security guard" Jett answered, a fact about him I was unaware of.
All eyes then turned to Phoenix, who had been extremely quiet all night"

I'm kind of in limbo right now" He announced, his words poor. Jett and I knew what the man really did for a living, and it was less than acceptable to broadcast over dinner.

Again, the air turned quickly sour, mute. I took this opportunity to flee, strangling from the tightness in the small space.

"I'm going to get some more coke" I mumbled, standing and removing myself from the table, my words cutting through the silence, Jett clearing his throat before asking Grace more about her work.

Moving to the kitchen, I heard another chair scrape against the floor, footsteps behind me.

Once I made it to the counter, I placed my arms on the granite, closing my eyes to regain even breathing. Tonight was going to suffocate me.

"Are you okay?" Oscar's voice appeared behind me as I straightened up.

"I'm fine" I nodded, turning to face him "It's just a little dry in here"

"Have some water" He offered, pulling a clean glass off the sink, filling it with tap water

"Thanks" I smiled, taking small sips

"Your sister is nice" Oscar began, leaning his back against the edge of the counter top beside me, his hip almost touching mine

"Yeah she is" I agreed

"Jett seems pretty keen on her too I noticed"

"I'm not the only one that noticed then?" My lips lifted, my eyes peering through the open plan house towards my sister who was lightly laughing at something Jett was saying

"I'm not quite sure what to make of Phoenix though" Oscar narrowed his gaze "I swear I've seen him somewhere before"

"He's a little hard to decipher, unpredictable. He keeps to himself a lot" I shrugged, ignoring his last remark

Oscar continued to stare at Phoenix with narrow eyes, trying to pinpoint the exact moment he'd seen him elsewhere beforehand.
Phoenix could sense it, his jaw tensing and gritting as he tried his hardest to pay attention to what Jett and Grace were talking about.

"Well, hopefully Jett smoothens things out for us" Oscar sighed, his eyes turning to my sister

"What do you mean?" I placed my glass back down on the sink

"She'll be more inclined to say yes to the holiday proposal if she's bedazzled by Jett and his charm. It'll be kind of like a spell" He smiled, looking towards me, his face closer to mine than comfortable

I gave him a fake smile in response and before I could react, he had leaned towards me and placed a quick gentle kiss on my forehead. He then swiftly returned to the dinner table, joining conversation with Jett and Grace.
I continued to stand motionless in the kitchen, bewildered at Oscars sudden confidence. He wasn't the boy I had initially taken him for.

"Your boyfriend is sweet" A new voice entered my private planet. Phoenix, placing our empty plates on the kitchen sink.

"He isn't my boyfriend" I rolled my eyes "Not that it's any of your business"

"Oh I see, he's just a temporary fling like many of my own" He sarcastically poked "And I recall myself as being the hypocrite"

Anger brewed inside of me as I gripped the edge of the bench top.