you'll be okay | detz

If he ran faster he could make it. If he ran faster he could save him.

Fitz had gone off to face the Neverseen, leaving a note behind that told everyone he was going to fight the Neverseen and confront Alvar.

(It surprised Dex, since Fitz wasn't really the reckless type, but he supposed that Fitz had changed in a way.)

Rain beat down in torrents on Dex, but him being wet wasn't exactly the biggest problem in the world when there was someone's life on the line.

At least Dex knew where Fitz and the Neverseen were. Sophie had managed to get their location from Keefe (bless that guy), and then told Dex.

When he reached the rocky cave, he caught a glimpse of Fitz, some Neverseen members and that goddamn Alvar.

Dex hid behind a boulder as he watched the battle, clutching a bomb he made, waiting for an opportunity to throw it.

But then Alvar grabbed something- something sharp, sending a chill down Dex's spine- and flung it at Fitz.

He should have said something. Shouted something. Screamed something. Dex should have just thrown the bomb right there and then. Instead, his arms went slack and Fitz's name was caught in his throat. Dex froze and couldn't bring himself to move as the dagger flew towards Fitz.

The scream (not as quiet as he wanted it to be) that was caught in Dex's throat finally came out- albeit too late- when the dagger landed square in the Telepath's chest.

Fitz collapsed to the ground, and the Neverseen leaped away just as Dex sprinted over to him and scooped him up in his arms.

It's funny, really, because in all those 'sad and tragic' human movies Dex had seen he had watched countless scenes where the love interest died in the protagonist's arms, to which Dex would cringe and yell, "Why couldn't he have done something?!" Look where he was now. Couldn't even follow his own advice.

"Fitz, Wonderboy-" Dex muttered, trying to stop more blood from flowing out of Fitz's chest with his sleeve. "Hang in there. You're gonna survive. You're gonna be okay."

"Dex," Fitz breathed shakily. Good. He was still alive.

Right. Dex's pathfinder. His pathfinder He needed to get his pathfinder and leap to somewhere safe, and Fitz will be okay. He'll be okay.

Dex grabbed his pathfinder and held on to Fitz tightly as he leaped to the Four Seasons Tree.

----

The first thing Dex's mind registered was Fitz's body. Fitz's fading body.

He was practically transparent. Invisible, almost. Had Dex not been cradling him in his arms he wouldn't have seen the teal-eyed boy.

"No no no no no no-" Dex began to shout, trying to drag Fitz to Foxfire, anywhere. "Elwin! Sophie! Biana!"

Fitz wouldn't be alive for much longer (as much as Dex hated to admit), with blood dripping out of his chest him fading.

The Technopath shook his head. No. Fitz was going to be okay. Right? "C'mon Fitz, you'll be okay. Y-you've handled way worse than this! Just hold on, okay? Just-"

"Dex, shut up-" Fitz said.

"NO! You're gonna be okay, c'mon, trust me," Dex attempted to reassure both the boy in his arms and himself.

But Fitz only gave a small smile (pained and forced)- a smile that under normal circumstances would be his movieworthy grin- and then faded.

"Oh," Dex whispered, staring at his empty arms as tears brimmed in his eyes. "He's gone."

----

hahaha I love to make kotlc characters suffer