"what am I to you?" | sokeefe

inspired by the "what am I to you" scene in attack on titan :)

----

  Sophie sat beneath the Panakes tree, watching the pink flowers fall from the tree and land gracefully on the ground.

  She picked Panakes blossoms fron the ground and began piling them up, wondering how much she could pile before they fell.

  Sophie was also fully aware of Keefe's gaze fixated on her. That made things kind of awkward between them.

  He was so weird.

  But that was why she liked him.

  "Sophie?" Keefe asked suddenly.

  "Hm?"

  Keefe flushed as pink as the Panakes blossoms as he spoke. "What am I to you?"

  Sophie immediately stopped piling the Panakes blossoms, letting them fall to the ground once more as she snapped her head up to look at Keefe. What did he just say? "H-huh?"

  He shifted around in his sitting position. "Why do you care for me so much?"

  "What do you mean...?" Sophie's face was red now too.

  "Is it because you pity me? Is it because you worry that I might do something reckless again?" Keefe looked like he might cry. "Or is it because I stand by your words and beliefs?"

  Sure, Keefe was a flirt but... what kind of questions were he asking? They suggested a more intimate relationship between Sophie and him.

  Thousands of replies swirled in Sophie's head.

  Friend. Brother. Ally.

  Would she regret saying a certain answer? Could this be a time to be honest?

  Sophie stared back at Keefe, who's ice blue eyes urged her answer quickly.

  "You're..." she whispered. "You're a good friend."

  "Oh," Keefe turned his head away. "yeah, same."

  Wrong answer. Sophie knew she had chosen the wrong answer. Waves of regret washed over her.

  "No!" Sophie shouted, Keefe's attention now on her again. "I-I mean, no. You're not a 'good friend'."

  Keefe blinked, and Sophie braced herself for a teasing remark.

  But all he said was, "Then what am I?"

  Time seemed to stop, and the world was just Sophie, Keefe and the petals and flowers of the Panakes tree fluttering around them.

  A light breeze carrassed Sophie's cheek as she took a deep breath. "You're... more than a friend. You're the greatest ally I've ever known and you're so amazing. Amazing for hanging on despite everything, amazing for your bravery, amazing for how much you care for everyone."

  Seriously. Sophie couldn't believe she just said all that. Warmth rushed into her face as she took another shaky breath and spoke again. "In another words- Keefe, I like you."

  She felt like she couldn't breathe and she was a little dizzy from all the blood in her face. Somehow, Sophie thought that breathlessness is a gift from the gods as she saw Keefe's equally red face, who was probably as breathless as her.

  "You, the Sophie Foster," Keefe spoke slowly, disbelief in his tone. "like me?"

  "Yeah," Sophie said confidently.

  The Empath stared at her, his ice blue eyes that Sophie has come to love shining with something like relief and happiness. "Well good news Foster," Keefe grinned. "I like you too."

  Sophie was surprised she didn't just faint on the spot from all the blood rushing to her face and felt like she could finally breathe again when Keefe spoke. "S-so-"

  "I guess," Keefe shrugged, his trademark smirk forming on his lips. "I wonder what it'll be like to date the Moonlark. You do the honours, by the way."

  "Fine," Sophie swore there was a way to die from blushing. "Keefe, will you be my boyfriend?"

  Keefe smirked. "Of course."

  ----

strangely I did not cringe when I wrote this