you (won't) be okay (part 2) | detz

part 2 to 'you'll be okay'! enjoy :)

----

  Dex hated the colour green.

  Sure, it symbolised life, but really, there wasn't much life in a dead person, was there?

  Elves wore green to Wanderling plantings (a funeral, Sophie called them) and ever since Alden's planting, Dex never wanted to wear any piece of clothing with the colour green.

  And yet, he wore it again, to Kenric's planting. He had expected more plantings after Kenric's planting.

  Dex just never expected the planting would be for Fitz.

  Sophie was standing somewhere else with Keefe, sobbing softly as Alden spoke.

  The Wanderling was, well, wondrous, Dex supposed.

  (What else could it be for Wonder-boy?)

  As Dex stared into the flowers on the Wanderling that had held the- as Sophie often described- impossibly teal colour of Fitz's eyes.

  At this point, Dex knew grief was never quite poetic and beautiful as fiction made it out to be.

  Grief, to Dex, was a large, gaping void that left him feeling empty. Numb.

  Dex hated- absolutely hated- that his last memory of Fitz was his fading body, that Dex's stupid and useless self couldn't save.

  And now all that was left of Fitz was a dumb tree.

  Maybe, if Dex had thrown the bomb earlier, Fitz would be alive. Maybe, if Dex had run faster, Fitz would be alive.

  Maybe, maybe, maybe.

  Why did Dex always have to hang on 'maybe'?

  Alden rambled and said something about how Fitz was a great son as everyone else nodded in agreement and tears fell down their cheeks like in a dramatic scene from a human movie while Dex didn't hear a word of Alden's speech.

  He had run out of tears to cry, anyway.

  ----

  When the planting was over, a few elves whispered a few apologies to about everyone Fitz knew, including Dex.

  And even though they promised their heartfelt apologies to Dex, he never really believed it was all that 'heartfelt'.

  After all, Dex could have saved Fitz. Who wouldn't blame him?

  Dex can practically hear them muttering about him, even if they had kind and genuine eyes, even if he had no reason to believe they would ever badmouth him.

  "That boy. That Dizznee."

  "Dizznee? He's part of that family?"

  "Yes. No wonder he couldn't save Fitzroy."

  Some people even made comments about Fitz's Wanderling, which frankly, were the stupidest things Dex had ever heard.

  "Dex," Sophie called. "It... it wasn't your fault."

  "It was," Dex thought. "and you probably think it was my fault too."

  (Sophie was never the most honest person on earth.)

  Dex sat against the trunk of Fitz's Wanderling, and gazed up to the teal flowers and leaves.

  Somehow, it both hurt and comforted Dex to think that Fitz's Wanderling would eventually grow to the same beauty as Kenric and his own, albeit accidental Wanderlings.

  And though Dex's mind was a mess of thoughts, a feeling of relaxation found its way into Dex as he stayed propped against Fitz's Wanderling and gazed at the teal blossoms.

  On that day, Dex Dizznee found solace under Fitzroy Avery Vacker's Wanderling tree.

  ----

  heyyyy

  you can probably tell this was rushed LMAOAOAOAOAO