Nine

Even if you didn't want to, you slowly doze off in his arms. Kid stays awake, subconsciously caressing your back.

His arm crawled under his coat to keep you even warmer. You smile in his embrace, wondering how he became so gentle. He doesn't look like someone to act like this.

You remember that he touched one of the waves when you stayed behind in the real world. You didn't ask him what he saw.

Since you didn't tell him about that laugh and the glimpse of the future, you wouldn't feel rightful to question him.

But whatever he found, he is more tender to you since that.

The touch of his hand, his movements, his voice.

Everything lost most of that sharp, rough tone that he keeps up around everyone.

You think about using your Devil Fruit to find a clue, but you want to keep your strength, so let yourself fall asleep.

After all, even this way, there will always be a chance to dream with him.

.

.

.

You open your eyes, and your heart misses a beat as you see a land covered with enormous skeletons.

The sky is dark, and dust is raining from the red clouds. You frown as some of the bones take the form of wings.

And as you turn around, King looks back at you with widened eyes.

He is kneeling in the dirt, his wings bleeding at a fast pace, laying by his body. He looks young, much younger than whenever you have seen him.

There's no sign of the uniform and the mask. He is wearing a loose white shirt and black trousers.

"Why are you here?" he asks silently, dropping his arms.

You shiver and recoil, shaking your head fastly. King stands up, and the wind blows back his white hair. As a skull breaks under his foot, he stops.

"WHY ARE YOU IN MY NIGHTMARE?!" yells the man at you, and the blood runs cold in your veins as you see him tearing up.

He raised you for years, and never a moment of hesitance or deep emotion took over his features. You remember him training you, pushing you to your limits.

He never showed any sign of weakness and didn't accept it from you either.

"I didn't want to be!" you shout back, lifting your hand. You touch your temple and call your power. You feel dizzy at how much energy it takes since you didn't come here on purpose. "I... I'm sorry."

But before you would leave, he reaches toward you with his arm and asks you to wait.

You frown, scowling confusedly. King walks closer with a few steps but keeps his distance.

"Can you take me away from this place?" he asks silently.

You let down your hand, watching him with empty eyes, unable to process his words.

"Why would I?"

"Because I asked you," answers King. He crouches down opposite you and lays his hand over the ground. "Please."

You bite your inner cheek and stand on his palm so he can lift you.

"I'll wake you up," you whisper. "I can't do more."

He looks around, then at the winged skeletons around the two of you.

"You have to take me to another dream," he says.