Seventeen

Later

You are standing in the orb of your ability, your eyes following the waves painting their patterns.

You don't want to spend much time here before sleeping properly, but you want to find him once, even if it drains your energy.

You take a deep breath and try to listen to the noises, choosing which one will have the most chance to show Kid.

No matter how carefully you choose, there's always a possibility that you fail.

And you freeze down when someone takes your hand gently.

You look to your side, and your heart drops when you see your friend. The child smiles at you brightly, and you shiver when you realize that you are a child too.

Since he appeared your dream changed form, similarly to Kid getting back his arm.

"I finally found you," he says sweetly and hugs you. Your breath stops, and you tremble. "It took a long time. I'm sorry."

He steps back but holds both your hands.

"How are you here?" you ask with a hoarse voice, tears flowing down your cheek.

He looks as kind and caring as back then. You still see the dimple on his right cheek when he smiles.

"You brought me here," he laughs softly. You shake your head fast and free your arms. He pouts as you let him go and reaches for you again, his features turn scared. "Please! I don't want to get lost again."

You glare at him confusedly, and the little boy scratches his curly hair.

"You brought me here more than ten years ago, don't you remember?" he murmurs. You thrill as you see how hurt his eyes are. You look at your hand and take his back. "I shouldn't have let go of you."

You feel a catch in your throat from his words as you slowly start to understand.

"You've been here all this time?" you ask silently. He blushes a little and nods.

"You couldn't bring me back after I let go of your hand because I never left this place," he answers. "I didn't find the way out alone. I think I never had my own dreams since."

"You never told me about your dreams."

"We don't remember others' dreams," he says. "This place is yours, and you didn't share it with me, except that last one I saw with your consent. So I just kept wandering around, looking for you."

"How did you find me now?" you ask.

He smiles again and wipes away your tears, then touches the crystal in your neck, which he left behind in reality.

"I found this," he whispers like he's telling a secret. "And I found many things from your life and mine, and his! I saw that you gave me your name, the only thing you had. Thank you. And I saw you have a new one, Three."

Your heart misses a beat, and Promise looks at the waves.

"Time merges in your ability," he says. "You let me see your dreams. You let him see your dreams. And we both stay with you here, no matter what happens. Our past and future with yours. But he only leaves behind traces, while I can't go."

His face darkens, and he casts down his eyes, biting his lower lip.

"It was so good to see you happy again," he whispers. "The next time you meet, please tell Kid that I'm sorry."

"What?"

"He had many nightmares as a child, because of me," shudders Promise. "I tried to find a way out, and sometimes I touched pieces of time that shouldn't be bothered. Somehow he saw my bad dreams too. Maybe because in reality, I couldn't dream anymore, since I was trapped here."