Thirty

Kozuki Castle

Twenty years ago

King walks inside the burning left wing of the building.

He scowls as he sees the ruins. He steps out of the way when a joist bursts up in flames and falls toward him.

Kaido-san sent me here for nothing. This whole side is a prison since the walls gave in. Nobody can leave without burning to death.

But he stops when he hears silent crying and coughing from the corner of the room.

So there are a few still alive.

His fist lights up with fire too, as he walks closer. The voices sound from an old, wooden wardrobe.

And even if King prepares to kill everyone hiding, he stops when the door opens.

Two children are inside. A little boy, and a girl even smaller than him. She passed out from the smoke, but King still hears her heartbeat.

The boy trembles and hugs her tighter protectively, even if he's crying in worry and fear.

"I won't let you touch her!" he shouts. King looks at him with disbelief at his bravery.

"I was ordered to eliminate all members of the Kozuki Clan," he answers. "I don't care how old they are."

The child trembles as the girl thrills, her eyes slowly opening from the man's harsh, deep voice.

"We are not from the Kozuki Clan!" he protests, trying to hide her face so she can't see the burning fist. "I was asked by Lady Toki to take care of her. I can't let you hurt her! You can kill me, but don't hurt her!"

"It'll be over fast," states King calmly, lifting his hand.

"Please!" cries out the boy, but they both freeze when she rubs her eyes and stands up.

She coughs from the smoke but then smiles brightly and leaves her friend's embrace.

The other child is too shocked to react in time as she toddles to the giant man's foot.

"You have hair like starlight!" she laughs softly, wiping away a tear. The little girl shakes and looks at King with warm, deep eyes. "Why are you wearing a mask? Are you sad because of the others who were like you? I won't tell anyone your secret, I swear."

Why does a child so little talking about such things? How can she possibly understand?

How does she know?

The Lunarian watches her with doubt and frustration. His fist clenches.

She bends slightly as the smoke of the room grows heavier and thicker.

"You don't have to be lonely if you don't want to," she smiles sadly, reaching up with her tiny hand. "We can stay with you! Nobody should be alone in this world."

Her voice. She's not trying to save themselves.

She's honest.

"Enough, Ann!" shouts the boy, hurrying after her.

He picks up the little girl even if his legs shake from exhaustion. The heat of the fire is coming closer.

"Why is she talking like that?" asks King with a hoarse voice, a shadow falling over his crimson eyes.

I have to kill her before she tells anyone.

"She has a Devil Fruit that lets her see things from the past," whispers the boy. His eyes suddenly gleam. "But you're a pirate, right? She's the daughter of the Pirate King, so you can't hurt her!"