Ten

"I'll take the red one!" shouts Kid while sitting up so fast that you jump a little and hit your head into a rock accidentally.

"Are you insane?!" you hiss, massaging your hurt skin.

He looks around confusedly, then turns back and notices you.

As his features relax when he sees you, you feel a tug at your heartstring. You wait a few seconds until he processes where he is.

"Mornin'," he smirks with that one-sided smile.

"Night," you correct, grimacing as you look at your hand. Luckily, there is no blood. "We should get going."

He sighs and stretches his arms, circles with his head. You watch the muscles of his torso moving, then as he touches his stomach.

"I'm hungry."

"Welcome to Wano," you answer. "You'll get used to it."

I guess he could always get enough food in the prison.

"We will figure out something," he smiles and touches your face. He leans closer and leaves a kiss on your cheek. "Let's go."

The man walks to the entrance of the cave and reaches for the edge, then easily pulls himself up with one arm. You walk after him and shiver as you step into the lake.

Kid listens for a few seconds, waiting for any signs of an enemy in the area. After, he offers you a hand and helps you out too.

"We can't leave Udon," you say, shaking your leg a little to get rid of the water. "They must be guarding the bridges."

"It doesn't matter," he shrugs. "I'm sure my crew should be here somewhere."

"So we'll search for them first?" you ask as you start your way under the shadows of the trees.

"Just me," answers Kid. "We have to get you to a safe place. I hate to undermine my importance, but catching you must be their priority over catching me. Kaido will move everything to get you back to the prison."

"There is no safe place for me on this island," you shake your head. He takes a deep breath without looking at you.

"There might be one," he says, his fist clenched. "We find your friend and he helps you. If he's still in Onigashima, that's your best chance. It's the last place where they would look for you."

You frown completely and Kid stops only a few meters far from you. He looks back and scowls.

"Do you have any better idea?"

"He can't help me," you whisper. "I... I don't think he's alive."

Kid turns to you and steps closer, but he doesn't ask, so you continue.

"They knew about him, yet never let me meet him. And even after I saw Laugh Tale, they were ready to use any method to make me talk. And they never mentioned him or blackmailed me. It makes no sense."

"This doesn't mean that he's dead."

"Not every story has a happy ending," you say, casting down your eyes. "Especially not at this place. Even if he's fine, it's too risky to count on it. He may have forgotten me by now."

"You're not that easy to forget, Three."

"You forgot me from your dreams," you smile at him slightly. Kid turns red and tsk-s, turning around. He starts his way so you follow him. "I want to help you to free your friends. I'm strong enough to fight."

"I don't think you understand the situation," he growls. "You know where to find the treasure that the whole world was looking for in the last twenty years. Every single subordinate and assassin of Kaido is searching for you now. The more hidden you are, the better."