~ Forty ~ Final

"Are you sure this is what you want?" asks Ace, sitting over the desk in the submarine's cabin.

You listen to the noise as he hones his knife absent-mindedly. It merges with the soft rumbling of the ocean.

"I am," you answer silently, crossing your legs. You rock back and forth, trying to slow down the thoughts running around your mind with doubt and his memory. "We don't know how much the CP0 knew about the happenings in Wano. It's better if they think I'm dead until someone finds the One Piece."

"You mean Luffy finds it, right?" grimaces the raven-haired man, pointing the knife at you. You sweatdrop and lift your palms.

"I can't say that, Ace," you say. "It's Kid's dream too."

The man sighs and scratches his head with the blade casually.

Living dangerously, are we?

"And Jaggy still let you go, huh?" he wonders. "That's a good point for him."

"He needs to collect points?"

"Of course he does, dating my sis," laughs Ace. His smile lightens the room like his little brother's. "And he's bigger than me. I don't like that."

"Chibi."

"Oi!" he scoffs, throwing his hat at you. You catch it and take it on, smiling softly. The man shakes his head a little. "I just wanna make sure you won't regret leaving them now."

You hide your eyes with the orange hat and take a deep breath.

Your fingers run over your prosthesis, with the Kid Pirates' Jolly Roger carved into the metal.

"It's not what I want, but what I need," you answer him.

Ace climbs off from Law's table and thuds on the bed next to you, elbowing your side gently to cheer you up.

You lay your head on his shoulder, and he rests his cheek upon your hair.

"I always fought to make Oyaji the Pirate King," he says. "But that wasn't what he wanted. Pirates don't owe anything to anyone and live their lives by their own choices. Some want freedom, some want treasure, others only human bonds."

"I want to know who I am."

"I think you already know," answers Ace, standing up. He takes back his hat and strokes your forehead. "You chose, didn't you?"

You cast down your eyes.

"We both have the blood of the same demon within us," he smiles. "But I'm not your only family."

Portgas D. Ace offers you his hand as the submarine slowly reaches the surface. Your eyes find the window, with the sea on the other side.

"Let's go, Three."

.

.

.

Victoria Punk

Killer sits down next to his best friend by the ship's barrier.

Kid is watching the water and the moonlight reflecting on it, abstract shapes glowing above the changing waves.

The blonde stays silent for a few minutes before he begins.

"You didn't come to see her off," he says.

"Why would I want to see her leave again?" growls Kid.

"She isn't your property."

"I wish she was," scoffs the redhead.