Thirteen

More than ten years ago

"What are we searching for today?" asks your friend, holding your hand as you stand in the middle of the orb.

You look into his bright eyes and smile.

"I wanna find something good. A green one?" you ask, pointing to a faster wave running on the left.

"That looks like my eyes," he grins sweetly, and you blush, punching his arm.

"It's from our past after all, dumbass."

"Who taught you this word?!"

"You. And if you won't be careful, I'll give it to you as a name," you shoot out your tongue. The boy turns away his head with flustered cheeks.

"Wait, what is that?" he asks, and you follow his gaze, leaning forward a bit.

You scowl, and he pokes at one of the waves to help you. It's so dark lilac that it looks almost black.

"That's from the future," you grimace. "It's moving too fast to be from the past. But I don't understand why it's still on the surface. These usually disappear in a few seconds."

Suddenly the child takes a step back.

"What is it?" you ask surprisedly, holding his hand strictly.

"It's calling me. Don't you hear it?"

"You don't even have a name, how would it call you?"

"Now that hurt," he pouts, and you huff as you hear it. "But we have to check it."

"We agreed not to check the future. It isn't right. I already have dreams about it! I don't wanna know what is waiting for us."

"It has to have a reason," he shakes his head. "It's calling me! I have to see it!"

"I'm not going there with you," you shout scaredly. "We come here to dream about the past! To relive things. It's dangerous to know what the future holds."

"Then I'll see it alone, okay?" he asks. "Can you wait for me here?"

"Is it really that important?"

"I think it is," he nods. "Trust me. I'll hurry, then we'll see the one you choose."

You sigh deeply and let go of his hand, then close your eyes and freeze the orb. The dark wave stops opposite him.

You are worried, but in a way, you feel like he's right. The future wouldn't stay on the surface if it didn't want to be seen. Your friend gives a kiss on your forehead to calm you down, and you open your eyes, watching as he walks there.

The little boy smiles at you one last time, then turns around and reaches forward.

As soon as his skin meets the wave, you wake up.

.

.

.

"You told me about this," says Kid, reeling a lock of your hair around his long finger. "You couldn't go back with him ever after he let go of you."

You nod silently, resting the back of your head against his wide shoulder.

You keep your eyes on the wood opposite you. This is the first time in your life that you tell this story.

The redhead notices that you tense up, so he leans down and kisses you softly. You smile against his lips and his smirk appears as he feels it.

Your heart misses a beat when he bites your lower lip before leaning back.