Chapter 1

--

I glance at my watch; 4:38. I'm totally gonna be late. My mom and her new fiance, Thomas, are having their engagement party tonight. I really don't like Thomas. He tries so hard to connect with my sister and I that it feels like he's forcing his way into our family. Honestly, I'd be more than fine without him. But if he makes mom happy, then I'll tolerate him.

I sigh and continue to sprint through the mall. I wonder if- My thought was interrupted by a door smashing into my face. "What the hell?!" I yell. "Oh, my God! I'm so sorry!" A blond boy says. He has curly hair and bright blue eyes. he's super cute! I need to stop. I literally just bashed my head on a door.

A woman, who I'm assuming is his mom, ran over to us. "Oh my...what happened?!" asks, looking genuinely concerned. Her brown hair sat just above her shoulders, and her purple sundress had a small stain on it.

We both stare at her, afraid to answer. Talking to adults gives me anxiety, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. The woman sighs, "Gosh, I leave you alone for one minute, Walker, and you somehow manage to hurt someone."

"It was an accident," I manage to say, "And it was mostly my fault. I shouldn't have been running. I just...it's my parent's engagement party tonight, and I was supposed to be home, like 5 minutes ago, so my mom is probably going to kill me when I get home." I ramble.

The woman gives Walker the disappointed mom look, and he smiles sheepishly. "Are you okay?" He asks. "Uh, yea, I guess," I say, giving him a small smile. I'm definitely going to have a bruise on my forehead in the morning.

"We could drop you off at your house if you'd like." His mom offers. "Oh, that's okay..." I tell her. She seems nice, but I'm not supposed to take rides from strangers. "Okay. Well, I'm sorry about my son."

"It's okay," I assure her. She nods and walks back over to where she was shopping. "Uhm...Could I maybe get your number?" Walker asks shyly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Uhh...sure?" I laugh awkwardly. I've never had a boy ask for my number before.

He hands me his phone. I quickly type my number into it and give it back to him. "Okay, I have to go..." I tell him. "Right, uh...sorry." He says, shaking his head. He's so cute!

"It's okay!!" I yell as I run out to the parking lot.

{Walker's POV}

The girl quickly runs out of the mall. I hope she doesn't get in trouble for being late. I can't believe I hit her with a door. I'm such an idiot.

I slowly walk over to mom. She stares at me, not saying anything. I fidget with my hands.

"Umm...Can I go get a pretzel?" I ask her. "Sure." She sighs, reaching into her purse. She pulls out a 20-dollar bill and gives it to me, "get me one too." I smile, "Okay!"

I walk out of the store and wander around until I see the Auntie Anne's pretzel sign. I love these pretzels so much. I go to the counter and ordered 2 pretzels and lemonade. I pull my phone out of my pocket and sit at a table, taking a sip of my lemonade.

{iMessages}

Noah🚪🤕

Hi
It's Walker
from the mall

hellooo

I'm really sorry abt the door lol

sToP aPpOlOgIzInG
iTs FiNe

OkAy

lol wyd?

eating a pretzel

omgggg get me one
plssss

no

damn ur so mean
u literally owe me for hitting me with the door

in my defense
you're the one who walked into it

whatever 🙄

hbu wyd

sitting on the couch

cool

ikr

igtg
ill text u later

kk
adios

bye

{Walker's POV}

My mom sits down in the seat across from me, taking a bite of her pretzel. "Did you get that girl's number?" She asks. "Yeah? How did you know?" I laugh. She just shrugged and took a sip of my lemonade.

We finished eating and headed out to the car. I hopped into the front seat and mom started the car. I stared out the window as we drove back to my house. I couldn't stop thinking about Noah. I still feel really bad about what happened.