Chapter 6 - serious talk, sort of

Tommy started clearing up the table and placed the bowls and plates on the sink as Ray starts washing the dishes. He leans next to Ray on the counter and looks at her as she does the dishes.

She takes a quick glance at the man beside her and gave a smile before turning back to her work. Why do I feel like we're newlyweds? Ray thought, making herself blush.

"You know I can clean those for you, right?" He tried to stop her from continuing. "You are sick and you need to rest." He lightly grabs her arms and pulls them away from the dishes.

Ray squinted her eyes at him. "I'm not that sick, Tommy. Besides, I can't let you wash the dishes." She removed his hands on her wrists. "You're a guest in my house."

They looked at each other's eyes, trying to argue with each other through their gaze. Both of them were stubborn and neither of them want to back out. Tommy looked away and sighed knowing he wouldn't win but thought of an idea to be able to help her out.

"How about we wash the dishes together?" He suggested. "You are technically still cleaning them but I am just helping you out."

Ray squinted her eyes and furrowed her eyebrows. "Why are you so persistent in helping me out?"

"It's because you're sick!" He justified himself.

"But I already told you I'm fine." She continued cleaning the dishes. "Besides, I don't really like staying put so this helps a lot."

"I figured that one out when you were selling weed the other day." Tommy chuckled as he was reminiscing the time when he pulled over at Little Seoul while she was cornering. She almost got hit twice when she was passing weed to her customers. It was also the same day that he showed the crazy side of him and she drove his R8 one last time before he went out of the city for a few days.

"Please tell me you weren't thinking about that time where you burst into laughter when I got ran over." She glared at him as she finishes the dishes.

"I was thinking about the day where I sent off the car from the sewers and said that you believe." He tried to gaslight her.

"Those happened during the same day, Tommy!"

"Oh did it?" He laughed. "The days blur all together at this point."

"Roight roight." She dries her hand with a paper towel. "Well, work is done now." She turns to Tommy. "Thank you for taking care of me."

His eyes furrowed. "Are you trying to get me to leave? That soon? Oh, I am hurt." He held his heart, pretending to be hurt.

She scoffed as she was confused. "I thought you were only staying for lunch."

"Randy told me to take care of you until he comes back from a meeting." He handed her a piece of sliced apple. "So, I will be your guardian for today."

Ray took the apple from his hands. "I'm not a kid, Tommy. I don't need babysitting." She ate the apple in one bite. "Besides, don't you have like gang stuff to focus on?"

"I told you, there are many things right now that are far too important than gang stuff and that thing is you. My priority is taking good care of you right now." He smiled at her.

Ray felt her cheeks heat up but tried to hide it. "When did Tommy T become such a gentleman?" She smirked at him.

"I've always been a gentleman, what do you mean? I even opened a door for you, remember? Twice even." He defended.

"Yeah, you opened doors for me right after I told you about my date with Joe on Valentine's." She eyed him. "Would you have done that if I didn't tell you?" She raised an eyebrow at him, knowing she was right.