Chapter 12: Impossible Reversal

There was a difference between a good assassin subordinate and someone Classed as 'Assassin' via awakening. It was the difference between existing for the job you're given and existing before the Class itself. A distinct between 'existence' and 'essence'.

Being a human (existence) first and a tool (essence) second. At least, one woman prided herself on being that. A particular ascender who wasn't born an assassin, but had her own sob story of being one.

Purple Wasp was codenamed after her ability to poison others to death. Like her name suggests, she was a femme fatale. A beauty with sinister intent and innocent looks. So innocent you'd fall for her tricks.

She was called the 'venomous killer' of Jianghu.

Under the reign of the Heavenly Demon, the Ming Cult... of the Pleasure Palace subsidiary division, she was practically born to kill. However, Wasp found herself being outshone by an upstart like herself.

And that person was the man next to her.

A resident of this world of beauties. He didn't even have a nickname. The less skilled man was simply called 'Assassin Jone' out of specificity. Like a title that was generated from profession and name.

And yet he dared get more attention than her!

It wasn't a title as grand as her own, but his skills seemed more perfected and fleshed out than her years of experience. It was an unfair role. Range, accuracy, strength, technical precision. All of her techniques came easy to this man of mundanity.

How could that be possible?!

The femme fatale, Purple Wasp, looked at the snivelling coward. He got scared in front of the body of their target. One www successfully captured, but a mistake had put their entire operation in jeopardy.

They killed the other target.

...It wasn't the scene their employer wanted.

Duke Bryan wanted an on-site life scan of their physicality and capabilities, then send the details to him. However, such a thing couldn't be done on the dead. All life force would fade from them quickly.

This would render their investigation useless...!

"Keep watch and don't mess anything up. If you screw this up l further, I'll kill you myself." Wasp mixed in her pettiness with her actions. Taking the opportunity to smack him over the head righteously.

"Sorry..." Jone held his neck.

A sinking feeling grasped her heart the more this man acted like he was some nobody. Did he not notice it? Killing without hesitation wasn't easy to do. You needed to be gifted, or emotionally unstable.

Since his head seemed to be working fine, it had to be a gift for killing. That's how the Ming Cult would see this. How anyone who knew even a little about killers would react. How the world would judge.

If Jone had been born under the 'Blood Art Demonic Palace' subsidiary division's influence, she was sure he would have made a name for himself. But here he was, unable to properly cope with his instincts.

Ruining a simple job because of his bloodlust...

No, could it even be called that?

As an assassin herself, she had seen many kill without the need of showing true killing intent. They were top-class professionals in their field, and all who had iron hearts that defied common sense.

But Jone killed almost like he himself was a lifeless cog in the machine. It made her feel curious about the nature of a 'Class'. Wanting to know more about them. However, she didn't have the time to ask.