Chapter 17: The Abandoned

There was a time of rebellion in an unknown Mortal Realm. A time that legends were born. There existed a single youth who felt like he was on top of the world. Feeling great to be alive. Thankful for the years he'd matured to get to this very date.

It was actually his birthday, after all.

"Shane, time to blow out the candles." His ordinary mother gave a loving smile. A sugary cake was presented. For a kid like him, this was one of the most memorable moments in his entire life.

The black-haired boy squinted his azure eyes while blowing out the candles. A smile bloomed on his face after seeing his family's joy. Shane's father and little sister joining in to congratulate him earnestly.

Small happy moments like this were what made a person feel whole. It was what kept people together even in the hardest of times. Even when the future brought struggles and tragedy, he could fight it all.

There was only one problem nagging at him...

His mother reacted to an invisible presence within the shadows of their home, then started to walk in that direction. Her eyes different from the way they were before. Seeing how she was leaving without a word, Shane's father coughed to catch her attention:

"...It's our son's birthday today. Maybe-"

"I just got shadow messages by our fellow comrades in need. Many of our Lord's believers have fell." She knew this wasn't the right time, but there was nothing she could do about her responsibilities.

"That's..." Her husband knew it too.

"We're both needed now. Otherwise, our friends and neighbours will be wiped out by those... 'heroes'." A look of disgust appeared in her eyes. Not wanting to call villains something that validated their claims.

They WERE NOT the forces of darkness.

All the 'demons' ever wanted to do was be free. They never attacked regular people and stayed far from those that tried enslaving them. They never wanted to be sold as commodities by humanity any longer.

However, the heroes attacked them.

"..." Her words made the husband hold his silence.

"You have to come too. What's a religious group without their pope? Now, put on your mask." The father looked at his two children and their black clothes embroidered with dragon markings.

His eyes holding many apologies to them.

A mask connected to his shoulder was put on his face. He then revealed a certain majestic air. Of course, the pope of the Dragon Cult, also known as the 'Shadow Overlord', would hold such esteem.

It wasn't like there was anyone else who could go against those dreadful 'Heroes' than himself. His wife, Dorothy, left first... but he followed a little late after Shane caught the man by the sleeve.

The eyes the boy gave begged his father to stay.

That his birthday party wasn't over yet...

"Sorry, I have to go." The masked overlord placated his child. Keeping his talon gloves away. The red faced child didn't let go. How could his parents leave like this? And for what reason? It simply wasn't fair.

"You... You don't have to!" The little boy cried.

"Shane..." His father called out.

"Dad, isn't what we do wrong anyway? You know this is wrong? Fighting them... Killing people..." The once peaceful protestors became revolutionaries. A heart of protest had ignited into a spark of rebellion.