Rules

When Sonic blinked his rested eyes open, he was bitten by the absence of the hedgehog he had fallen asleep on. It took him a moment to realize the warmth around him was a blanket and not fur. He clenched the blanket close and frowned to himself, for some reason he felt abandoned, even though he and Shadow had never made a formal agreement to more than just sex, so there was no reason for him to stay.
Sonic replayed the scene from the previous evening, smiling to himself. No one had ever touched him so aggressively and also so gently, and while a tiny part of him was disturbed, it was outweighed by a feeling he had never known before, but could immediately recognize.
No. He thought to himself, shaking his head while getting up from his makeshift bed. There was simply no way he could feel any sort of romantic intention for Shadow. It was merely a mutually beneficial deal they came up with to avoid any conflict.
But it was still awfully quiet in his small hut, he had never felt quite so alone. Most nights he was by himself, playing games, sleeping or eating. On the random nights Tails would join him they did the same things he did alone, and though he loved his best friend with everything he had he now felt a missing piece of himself.
He smacked away the walls of his silly fort and they tumbled down around him, bouncing off his head, one caught on his quills and ripped through the middle, fake feathers flew everywhere.
"Smart."
Sonic jerked to his left and was overjoyed to see Shadow sitting on his couch stirring a coffee mug. He hadn't left after all!
"You're still here?" He said, a little too giddily, he caught his overexcitement and coughed, "you're still here?" He repeated with a much more monotone inflection.
Shadow rolled his eyes, biting back a smile, "would you like me to leave?" He asked, already knowing Sonic wanted the opposite.
He knew this because he had felt the exact same way. It was nice, the closeness he felt that evening, even if it was born out of an agreement and not the heart, it didn't matter to him. There was no emotional attachment, he could have left that morning and carried on like usual, but he just didn't want to.
He enjoyed the warmth of another body, even though he would have preferred someone else's, he was still comfortable with Sonic, the idea was a good one and he would continue the agreement regardless of the lack of romance.
At least that's what he forced himself to think.
When he woke up, Shadow was red in the dark face when he remembered he had called Sonic mezmorizing.
He quickly scrubbed it off as heat of the moment, but it was still sitting in the back of his mind waiting for the perfect moment to strike.
"No," Sonic said honestly, "I'd like for you to stay and help iron out some rules going forward."
Shadow nodded in agreement.
The blue hedgehog got up and straddled to his small kitchenette, looking for the coffee pot, sighing when he saw it empty.
"You drank an entire thing of coffee?" He asked Shadow.
The striped animal shook his head, "this is tea."
"I had tea?" Sonic asked, astounded at himself.
Shadow nodded, pointing to the drawer next to Sonics hip.
He opened the drawer and saw a large pile of neatly placed teas, he chuckled, "Amy must've put them here for when she visits."
Shadow furrowed, staring into his green liquid. He relaxed instinctively when Sonic turned to him, "I'll be right back, I don't really want to make coffee, takes too long, you know."
Shadow didn't get a chance to reply when a gust of wind flew past him, making his fur dance and five seconds later flew past him again. Sonic was sitting next to him with a takeout cup of steaming coffee, waiting energetically for Shadow to start talking.
"Isn't there still wait times? I don't understand how they served you so fast."
Sonic giggled, "oh no, this is from Tails' place. He always leaves one out for me."
Jealously stung at the black hedgehog but not from the mention of Tails. He couldn't help but feel a bit envious of such a close friendship, something he hadn't had for a very long time.
"Anyway.." he muttered, "what rules are you thinking?"
"Well, the most important one is don't tell anyone, I definitely don't need that drama."
"Agreed, next."
"Rule two is when I say stop, you stop."
"So, a safe word is required then."
Sonic looked confused, "no, just stop when I say stop?"
Shadow smirked, "trust me, you're going to be using that word a lot when you don't mean it."
Sonic scratched his leg, "um.. okay.. Eggman then.. because that image is already an instant mood killer."
They sipped their drinks, Shadow nodding.
"I have one," he said, "you don't ever ask or try to be on top, I'm not into that."
A little disappointed by this request, Sonic begrudgingly agreed, he liked the sensations he felt but did not like how pathetic it made him seem, he wanted to be on even footing.
"Rule four," he moved on, "don't ever call me.. pretty.. or anything along those lines.." he snickered, "it just makes me laugh."
Shadow watched the other smiling to himself and thought, "but you are pretty."
"Agreed. Any more?"
"Just one. If you're going to try anything.. odd or new.. let me decide if I'm okay with it first."
"Of course."
Sonic was happy, all his requests were listened to, he had been worried that Shadow would turn away at the rules as he knew the other didn't much care for rules altogether.
They sat together and finished their drinks, sitting in a comfortable silence.
"I have a question," Shadow started, "did the fox see you when you went there?"
"Uh.. no, why?"
"Because you have cum all over you."
Sonic flushed, looking down at himself. He had been sitting here like this the whole time and only now did Shadow pipe up!
"Do you get off on embarrassing people?" Sonic pushed Shadow playfully.
"Only you, Hedgehog." Shadow sniggered.
They shared in a laugh that ended with Sonic getting up to wash himself, only to be interrupted.
"May I suggest something new?" Shadow asked.
"What?"
The slightly bigger body got off the couch, placing his mug down on the small table in front of it. He gingerly approached Sonic.
"Shower sex."