Days Gone By

Three wonderful weeks passed as the summer heat belted down on the little village. Townsfolk were spending most of their time outside, going on walks, swimming, hosting barbecues and most importantly not asking Sonic or his team for any help with mediocre rescues.
Without the demand for a savior, the friends were finally able to relax and spent most of the time hanging around eachother, sharing in the same activities normal people got to enjoy.
Shadows presence in the group didn't interupt anything, in fact the four of Sonics friends warmed up to him quite quickly, pestering him whenever he tried to get close to Sonic and laughing at his miserable reactions. Even Knuckles, who held the most dislike for Shadow, was cracking jokes and involving him in activities, which he always proved to be the best at. After the first few volleyball games they no longer let him join, as he refused to show remorse and had a nasty habit of always narrating his victories.
He had been joined to Sonics hip since their day on the island, only ever leaving to grab something from his place or retrieving something Sonic wanted.
Sonic showed no sign of disliking the constant attention, he was so far gone into what Stix called "the brainwashed phase" that he went completely stupid whenever Shadow did anything for him, which meant he was basically always stupid now.
His friends thought it was hilarious and in the brief times when Shadow wasn't around and he was completely himself they all bullied him relentlessly, Amy, funnily enough, being the worst of them.
"You- you're like I was! Oh God did I act like this?!" She said trying to catch her breath from laughing so hard.
Sonic was clueless about it all, and felt he was utterly the exact same, even when Knuckles and Tails pretended to be madly in love one evening, acting out something Sonic and Shadow did that day, although much more dramatized.
"Oh Knuckles, will you please come let me rest my head on your muscular lap?"
"Oh Tails my love, you needn't have to ask! Your loving eyes say enough!"
They made kissing faces at eachother. Sonic was unimpressed.
"That's you, that's how you act." Stix said assertively.
"It's not that bad, you guys are being dramatic." Sonic guarded.
"Didn't you used to think I was crazy?" Amy pointed out.
Sonic just shrugged.
The newfound lovers shared every night together, thankful that the new hammock was a generous amount larger than the broken one. Most nights they spent at Sonics house, destroying the place whenever the sun went down as they fucked like rabbits all over the hut. Sonic had to put up random posters and rugs all over his walls and floor to cover scratch marks. Thankfully the ones on Shadow were hidden by fur.
There were odd nights they stayed at Shadows place, which was so tidy and clean Sonic felt touching anything would be like touching an artifact in a museum.
Shadow thought this was funny, and one day while Sonic sat on his couch like there was royalty around he privately filled up a bundle of water balloons, sneaking up on Sonic and pelting him with them on the back of the head, the blue quills popping every single one.
"Shadow!" He jolted off the couch, his back soaked, seeing Shadow giggling at him, another balloon ready in his hand.
"Think again!" He instantly appeared next to Shadow, having ran so quickly and snatched the remaining balloons away.
"Don't you dare!" Shadow challenged, holding his hands up in defense.
"What? Afraid of water?" Sonic said triumphantly. He proceeded to demolish Shadow with the balloons, who howled with laughter, trying to block them from his face.
Sonic was down to his last balloon, tossing it in his hand.
"Any last words?"
Shadow blipped directly in front of him and pulled him close, grabbing his hand that had the balloon and pulling it between their chests, squeezing it so it broke, water pouring on them both.
"We're even." His voice rumbled.
Sonic smiled and kissed him, wrapping his arms around the black and red quills.
Their wet torsos smacked together, the sound reminded them of something dirty and soon their dicks were hard against each other.
Shadow pulled away, biting Sonics lower lip.
"How do you want it?" He moaned.
"My favorite way." Sonic breathed hotly.
Shadow resumed their kissed and blipped them into his kitchen, hoisting Sonic onto the island counter. It was the perfect height for their groins.
He spat onto his fingers, slowly putting them inside Sonic.
"Ugh.. fuck."
"Yeah, I wanna hear your slutty voice."
"Do more."
Shadow inserted a second finger. He kissed down Sonics wet body, landing his lips on the twitching tip, quickly sucking it into his mouth.
"Oh God, Shadow.." Sonic gripped his quills and shoved Shadows mouth all the way down his shaft, who took it without issue.
Shadow added another finger to the pileup, pulling off Sonic and standing back up.
"I want to put my cock inside you".
He took his fingers out and replaced them with his throbbing member. Sonic didn't bother to hold back his voice.
"Shadow! I love it, it's so good!"
"You love it huh? You love when I fuck you like this?"
"Yes, hnng, so much!"
"So do I, my submissive little hedgehog."
They bounced on the counter for a good while, long enough that by the time Shadow came inside Sonic they were nearly dry.
"Did you have fun?" Shadow asked, sitting Sonic by the sink in order to clean him.
"You don't have to ask every time, of course I did." Sonic answered as warm water hit his bottom.
He had gotten used to the cleaning process, which he considered just as hot as the sex itself.
"I know I don't, I just like to hear it." Shadow pecked his nose.
He dried Sonic off with a clean dish towel and guided him off the counter.
"I'm gonna make some popcorn." Sonic smiled.
"OK, I'll be in the living room."
Shadow strolled past the swinging door feeling rejuvenated.
"So, were you gonna tell me or was I always doomed to find out this way?" Rouge blurted out, sitting cross legged on a one-person sofa.
Shadow barely reacted, he was used to her appearing like this and whatever she heard was her own fault.
"Sorry, I've been busy." He gestured to the kitchen where a popping sound could be heard.
Rouge smiled, "well I'm glad you finally came around."
"Please, you weren't subtle." Shadow smiled and walked towards her, which startled the bat. He placed a hand on her bare shoulder, "thank you, and I'm sorry for how I acted to you."
She was taken aback by this uncharacteristic affection, but nodded nonetheless, forgiving him.
"Did you really have to involve Knuckles?"
She laughed, "he had no idea, I wrapped the damn book and everything."
Shadow fell onto his couch, "when are you two going to go public? You've been going at it five times longer than Sonic and I."
"Please honey, everyone already knows. It's just fun to play pretend."
"I don't agree. I like it better this way."
"Really?" Rouge was certain Shadow would have preferred to keep everything quiet.
"Oh yeah, his friends are something else. One day they like me and the next day Knuckles is trying to whack a ball into my face."
"He should be reserving that for me." Rouge chuckled alongside Shadow who made a face.
Sonic burst into the room with a bag of burning popcorn, throwing it at Shadow, not noticing Rouge at all.
"Your microwave is too hot!"
Shadow dropped the bag, "why would you give it to me?"
"I don't know!"
"Don't you listen for the popping to stop?"
"Theres a popcorn option for a reason!"
"It doesn't work like that!"
"Then why would they have it?"
Rouge waited as Sonics head glanced at her, not processing her presence for a few moments.
"Rouge!" He said suddenly, "when did you get here?"
"Only a minute ago." She lied. Shadow was grateful, Sonic didn't need to be embarrassed.
"I didn't know you were coming!"
"She just shows up." Shadow picked up the popcorn and walked into the kitchen.
"How are yo-"
"Listen hun, Shadow won't hear a word of it but Eggman is hiding something that involves him. I found a file last week titled 'Project S- 432 Beta', it's locked and I can't hack it, I tried. Eggmans base isn't abandoned, he's still there. I know Shadow was there with you, I don't need to know what happened but I think your being there is the only reason this 'Project' wasn't put in motion. Omega and I are doing our best but GUN unassigned everyone to Eggman and the lair is locked tight except for a few spots."
Sonic froze trying to compile this new information.
"What are you saying?"
"Shadow is in danger, but he refuses to do anything about it."
Sonics ears dropped, "he doesn't want me to go, I can't do anything without going behind his back."
Rouge nodded, "I understand. I've done all I can with what I've got. I don't know what he's so scared of, but someone has to find out before he gets hurt, now here," she swiftly handed him something.
Shadow emerged back from the kitchen with a fresh bag of popcorn, tossing it to Sonic who thanked him with a grin.
He looked at Rouge, who was behaving as though they chatted about their day.
"Any stupid assignments?" Shadow asked.
"We're investigating the presidents secretary for whatever reason. I know she didn't do anything, but GUN seems to think she's plotting the takeover of the world."
Sonic sat beside Shadow and started popping popcorn into his mouth, unsure what to think.
Was Shadow really in danger? If he was, why hasn't Eggman attacked Shadow again?
What was this Project-S? It had to be about Shadow. He rested his head on Shadows arm as he and the bat talked about their dumbest missions. Shadow lifted the arm and put it around Sonic, who fell into his chest. The poof of fur was like a pillow.
He chewed up popcorn, tossing bits into Shadows mouth as well as his own and got lost in his curiosity. If Shadow was in danger, he had to do something.

When Rouge waved goodbye an hour later, Sonic had fallen asleep. Shadow didn't want to disturb him so he sat there mostly awake, looking crossly at a pile of dropped popcorn. Sonic was always making silly messes, but he also always cleaned them up.
Shadow pet his head and played with his little blue ear, chuckling when it twitched. He was happy, they were happy. Only a month had passed since they started their involvement with eachother, but for Shadow it was like finally getting something he wanted for a long time.
Maybe that's what Rouge always teased him about, his tiny crush on Sonic. He had always denied this secret part of himself, choosing instead to view is as disdain rather than affection, which is rightfully was.
Sonics friends were accepting, as he always knew they would be. Sonic wouldn't hang around people that weren't pure of heart and filled with unconditional compassion for others, even when he and Tails had staring competitions or Stix tried testing to see if he was a mutant, a robot, a zombie or something else every other day.
He was upset at himself for waiting so long to be this happy, and the thought of Sonic and his friends laughing warmed him up inside. He closed his eyes and fell asleep, head falling back against the couch.
Sonic waited for the soft snoring sound and turned slightly to ensure Shadow was asleep. He got up quietly, looking sadly at his partner. Rouge had handed him a pill, one that read 'sleep+'. He knew what she wanted him to do with it andthough he really didn't want to, he had tossed it into Shadows mouth along with the popcorn.
"I'm sorry, but you won't even have to know." His gut was twisting as he got up to leave the building.
They had always blipped into the apartment so when Sonic maneuvered his way out of the building he was blocked by broken elevators and stupid dead ends. All the money went into the fancy suites, he supposed.
Eventually, with not much time wasted, he made it outside and ran out of the facility. Shadows base was located three hundred miles away from his island, so he sped off without looking back, ringing Tails as he did.
"Tails, I need you to meet me at the mainland shores, I'll be there in five minutes."
"OK, I'll be there in six."
Sonic thought to Shadow, his heart beating fast at his own betrayal.
No matter what he said, Sonic had to know his lover wasn't in danger.
At least that's what he told himself.