Absence

Days had gone by with no further incidents regarding Shadows special little blackouts, he could only imagine it was from the empty pillow next to him at night and the peaceful quiet during the day, he used to hate Sonics endless ramblings but now they were welcome and longed for. This isolation gave him a chance to do what he had been putting off for far too long; work.
Sure, he didn't really need to, but after being considered a threat to an entire planet he figured the best way to keep the peace was to lend a helping hand here and there, and currently his hands were being moved around seemingly on their own and most certainly against his will as his recent assignment got a chuckle out of making Shadow smack himself.
"Will you stop already?" He demanded, flashing his fangs at the childish trainee he was growing ever so unaccustomed to.
They had moved away from a blank desert landscape to focus more on control, as the young hedgehog would have to learn to not blow up entire buildings and cause mountains to crumble, so they moved on to an abandoned town that had been evacuated many years ago after Eggman nearly succeeded in destroying it.
"Stop what?" Silver replied, focusing in on one last quick whack. They had been training for two days straight and Shadow got the inkling that the uncontrolled giggling and stupid behaviour was a sign of exhaustion, although whenever confronted Silver adamantly denied such accusations.
"How-" smack "STOP" the blue light coming off Shadows hand faded, and he took a deep breath to relax before continuing, "how do you expect to be an agent for G.U.N if you can't even stay awake for 48 hours?"
Silver shrugged, "I'm doing fiiiiiine!" He gestured to himself smugly, "I can keep myself up on pure unfiltered dedication!" He stood tall and proud."
Shadow straightened his face, "no you can't."
The grey body slumped to the ground, "no i CAAAANNN'T! This is impossible, I feel like I have weights on my eyes and I haven't been able to properly in hours," he squinted to his teacher, "you're just a black and red blob right now."
Shadow chuckled, "we'll call it here then, but you gotta do some studying because sometimes these jobs require you to stay up for days on end."
Silver slowly picked himself up, "that's awful, you're not making this gig sound very pleasant."
"Come on, you have to be near me in order for the chaos I control to affect you." Shadow offered a hand out but Silver didn't take it.
"Yeah why do they let you have it anyway?"
"Let me? What are they gonna do, take it away?"
"Oh," the grey one huffed and examined the outstretched hand, "I don't really trust emerald travel, I'll get back on my own."
Shadow rolled his eyes, "at this point any portal you make will have you at the bottom of the ocean, do you even know what country we're in?"
"Statin Island?" Silver said confidently.
"Just take my fucking hand kid."
There was a moment of silence as a rather stupid question spilled out the trainees mouth, "can I see it?"
Shadow furrowed, "see what?"
Silver pointed at his chest, "the emerald."
Shadow stammered back a few inches and stopped offering his hand, "excuse me"?
Silver hoisted himself up and stepped closer to his instructor, "I've only ever seen pictures!" He bounced towards Shadow, reaching out a hand and placing it on a black chest where it knew an emerald was resting, but quickly this hand was grabbed violently then tossed ten feet in the other direction against an old bus stop shelter that came crashing down on its owner.
Silver gasped, and used his powers to free himself from the rubble, shocked and suddenly wide awake, he turned to Shadow who stood completely still, "I'm- I'm so sorry!"
No movement.
"Boss, no- I know they aren't something to take lightly I wasn't thinking! I promise I'll never ask again please don't be mad!"
He tiptoed his way closer and closer, finally catching some movement in the form of deep laboured breaths.
"Did something happen? Did I hurt you?! I wasn't using my telekinesis to try anything I swear!"
That's when Shadow jerked towards him, panic in his eyes, "you need to leave!"
Silver nervously hugged himself, "what's wrong!"
Shadow was grabbing at the spot the young hedgehog touched, "no, no, no!" He loudly mumbled, "not now, please!"
"Um.. boss you're scaring me, I really didn't mean-"
"Fucking GO! I can't- I can't stop this you need to GO!"
"Stop what?" Silver scanned Shadow up and down but didn't see any sign of the emerald, all he could tell was that his mentor whom he barely had a working relationship with was suddenly in panic mode with zero explanation.
"KID, JUST LEAVE!" Shadow then lunged towards him, pushing him back and screaming at the top of his lungs, "PLEASE!"
"F-fine! I'll get Rouge to come assist!"
Shadow knew more than Silver how lucky he was that he left at that moment, opening a portal and disappearing from view at the same moment Shadow couldn't prevent it anymore.
As per before, a quick and uncomfortable feeling overtook him, and he blacked out.