A Happy Accident

Sonic woke up to an agitating headache pounding against his skull. He groaned into his hands, giving himself a brief relief of pressure. He recalled the night before, Tails voice chanting "chug!" While he downed drink after drink. "Never again." He fibbed weakly.
"Fun evening?" Shadow approached him, handing over a mug filled with a green liquid. Sonic took it gratefully, but twisted his face at the sight of it.
"Coffee would work to." He said handing the cup back to Shadow, who pushed it back towards him.
"Drink it." He had no room for resistance. Sonic grudgingly took a sip, his ears perking at the surprising flavor. He then proceeded to chug the entire thing, Shadow cringing at the skill.
"It's delicious!" Sonic smiled to the other hedgehog.
"Rouge's recipe," he cut off Sonic as he was about to speak, "no, I won't give you the recipe."
Shadow took the empty mug and placed it in an empty sink, cleaning it right away.
"What time did you get here?" Sonic asked, feeling infinitely better.
"About twenty minutes before you collapsed through the door."
Sonic giggled, rising out of his hammock, "sleep on the couch?" He asked.
"No?" Shadow looked at him, "I slept next to you. Comfy bed you've got."
It hadn't been the first time they slept side by side but it made Sonic happy knowing Shadow had curled up beside him, even if he was a sloppy mess.
Shadow dried the mug and put it away, then walked towards Sonic, grabbing his hands and hoisting him off the hammock. Sonic purposely lost his footing, allowing his body to knock Shadow a step back.
"Theres no way you're still drunk." The red and black hedgehog huffed as he caught Sonic around the chest.
He could feel the peach cheeks nuzzling against his white poof.
"What?" His eyes shot down, his own cheeks flushed upon seeing Sonic hugging him, burying his face into Shadows glorious poof.
"I've always wanted to do this!" Sonic said cheerfully.
"A-always?"
"Well, I wanted to know what it was like to have this fur here, does it get hot?"
Shadow shook his head, Sonic looked up at him, "does it itch?"
"No."
"Does it stain?"
"Uh- no?"
"Does it tickle?"
"What? Tickle?"
Sonic blew hard into Shadows puffy chest, making Shadows body quiver while he held a giggle in his throat.
"Stop!" He said pulling Sonic away.
They looked at each other and laughed.
Letting go of their hug, Sonic leaned quickly in to give Shadow a speedy peck on the lips.
"Good morning," he quipped, "what do you want to do today?"
"Oh, well last night you.." Shadow remembered the 'I love you' and held it momentarily out of context before reminding himself it wasn't a confession and just what Sonics friends believed.
"You said you wanted to go back to the island."
Sonic smiled, "even drunk I come up with the best plans. Let's eat first."
"OK, what do you want?"
"Hangover food, obviously."
Sonic bounced to his small fridge and pulled out a package of hotdogs.
"The best of the best for you, good sir." He joked.
"I don't really eat that stuff." Shadow looked at the hotdogs with distaste.
"Well have you ever even had one?" Sonic asked as he grabbed everything else he needed for chili dogs.
"Uh.. no."
"Then you'll never know if you like it. Come on, let me make you one, I promise it'll be good, I'm top chef when it comes to this stuff.
The prospect of Sonic cooking for him was an exciting one, regardless of the product, so he agreed.

After ten minutes of throwing everything around and creating a ridiculous mess Sonic presented Shadow with a mess of a meal, declaring that his masterpiece was finished.
Shadow begrudgingly took it, acting like he was eager to try it, but upon biting into it he was pleasantly surprised.
They ate together, after they were done Sonic dashed around cleaning up the chaos.
Shadow then took Sonics hands and blipped them away.

They arrived swiftly at the island, Sonic immediately pulling Shadow into a race. They ran around for only a short time before Sonic stopped abruptly and stared off into the ocean.
He may have been drunk but he vaguely remembered what he said to Shadow, and he felt the urge to talk about it. Shadow watched curiously as his opposite sat on top of a sloped sandy hill.
"Tired already?" He teased.
Sonic looked at him softly, tapping a spot next to him. Shadow obliged this gesture, unsure of this change in behavior.
"Look, Shadow," Sonic began, taking one of the gloved hands into own, "I want to tell you, um, about last night, I think you should know that I-"
"No," Shadow cupped Sonics mouth, "you don't have to say anything."
Sonic pulled the hand away, "but I-"
"Are you happy?"
"Yes, of course!"
"Then why do we have to define anything, because other people think we should?"
"They could be right."
"But they aren't us, they don't get to pick, we do."
Sonic shook his head, "we can't keep this up forever."
"Maybe not. But we get to choose our own pace."
Sonic smiled, he knew Shadow was right. Neither of them really had a clue what they were feeling, they both just knew they enjoyed each other's company. Sonic still didn't have the answers he wanted, and he knew he would have to get them before he said anything. He was grateful to Shadow for stopping him.
"I still want to go back to Eggmans lair."
Shadow paused, reluctant to tell Sonic the information Rouge had relayed to him, worried it would make the blue hedgehog even more determined to go back.
"What if-  what if there's something bad there?"
"I don't know what you mean?" Sonics brow lifted in curiosity.
He sighed, looking into the emerald eyes. He couldn't keep it from him, it wasn't fair.
"Eggman never left his lair."
Sonics grip on Shadows hand loosened, "what? How do you know?"
"GUN sent Rouge there and she told me what she found. Also.." he hesitated, "they weren't the ones that sent me either."
"They weren't?"
Shadow shook his head.
"Then we have to go!" Sonic shot up, pulling Shadows stiff body, "now! Something could be wrong!"
Shadow remained still, "no. I don't want to."
"Why?"
"It's been weeks. Whatever it was passed, it doesn't matter, I just thought you should know."
"But Eggman could've been the one to let us out! He could know!"
"Stop!" The bigger hedgehog jumped up, "I don't want to know!" He grabbed Sonics cheeks, "Please."
Sonic had never seen Shadow this desperate before, he was normally completely level-headed, and always wanted answers. He hated seeing it, whatever the truth was, it was like he was afraid of it.
Sonic sank into the shaking hand, "ok, no Eggman."
Shadow sighed in relief, thanking Sonic by pulling him into a deep kiss. He knew the blue hero would always put his friends first, he supposed that now included him.
The idea of Sonics loyalty put his head into a spin, he was so happy he couldn't believe it, he never felt this way before, and if he had it was before his long-sleep.
He pressed all his weight onto Sonic which made the smaller of the two fall back onto the sand, Shadow on top of him, using his legs to spread Sonics apart.
Sonic broke away from the kiss, "h-here?" He mumbled.
"No one will come here, it's always empty."
They both thought of Tails who now knew Sonic had a special tie to the island.
"Promise?" Sonic asked, not caring about the possible arrival of anyone.
"Mhm." Shadow nodded, resuming their kiss.
The breeze danced across their fur as they locked bodies, moaning into calming winds. Afternoon had just approached, the sun beat down on Shadows back, who happily allowed the heat as he thrust into Sonic, kissing him anywhere he could reach. It was hot an passionate, Sonic scratched away at Shadow, holding his lower back, using gentle force to assist each thrust.
I want to tell him. He thought, taking in Shadows sweet smell.
Screw second guesses.
Sonic lifted Shadows head so they were locking eyes, and without another hesitation, blurted out what his two closest friends had told him.
"I love you."
"I love you to." Shadow replied instantly, the words had caused his heart to zip around.

The two lay on the beach for hours in silence after, never letting go of their hands. Sonic was resting on Shadows chest, using his free hand to twiddle the poof, while Shadow had his arm around Sonic, petting his quills.
They didn't want to talk about the confessions, both felt any other words would ruin the very fragile air, they were happy laying there as the sun began to set.
But the romantic silence wasn't bound to last forever, as Sonic viciously remembered he left the stove on.
"Fuck!" He jolted up, pulling Shadow along with him, "back to my place! I left the stove on!"
Shadow smiled lovingly, "ok, it'll be fine." He said as he blipped them away.
He had taken them just outside Sonics hut, who looked confused.
"The stove is on the inside!" He shouted.
"I know." Shadow laughed, scooping Sonic into his arms.
"I just wanted to do this, you know, for fun."
Sonic blushed.
They then kissed as Shadow took them through the door, when they were inside he stood Sonic up and bent him backwards, as though they were dancing. Sonic held onto black shoulders.
"Um.."
Two pairs of eyes shot forward, Shadow dropped Sonic as he was bombarded by four shocked faces, the most notable being the yellow fox, mouth agape, holding a 'Happy Birthday!' sign.
He helped Sonic to his feet and simply said, "you didn't tell me it was your birthday."