A Very Convincing Performer

Hanyang, 1419

Purity is something rare and therefore must be owned. It was what the notorious prince thought when he first laid eyes on Kim Go Eun. Tired of staying indoor in his palace, he decided to bring his guards and ladies in waiting to the lake at the outskirts of Hanyang. It was in the middle of summer, and he was craving for the shades and cool breeze. The singers and musicians he invited, the excellent food made by his cook accompanied with the best quality of soju successfully set his mind at ease.

Closing his eyes in the open pavilion, Min Ho finally felt free from his endless plots and missions with his older brother, the Honorable Emperor Lee Jae , or Jung Jae Hyeong, as how he called him affectionately all through his life. His mind wandered as he looked along the lake.

If only. If only he and Jung Jae Hyeong were just normal, ordinary men. Soldiers. Growing up playing in the mountains, using strength to protect this country. If only their wealth consisted of nothing except food for the week. It would be much easier. Maybe even happier, his conscience whispered.

He sighed heavily, making the courtesans and his bodyguards turned to him in concern.

Unfortunately, it was not so.

They were both born from the late emperor and from two of the most respected ladies in the countries, from two of the most equally respected families. Their childhood was strict but fun, as Min Ho pretended the palace was just one big playground.

But as he reached maturity and his father fell ill, all the easiness of life ceased to exist.

As the prince from the first concubine and not the chosen one to take the throne, Min Ho was given his own palace outside the Imperial Palace. It was something he already knew would happen so he didn't mind it in the least. It was just how every royal family managed their household since the earliest dynasty.

What surprised him was the fact that there was so many people and organizations that was interested in using him to destroy the current monarch, his father and brother. The first time a well-known, strong family noblemen approached him to "Go forward and create a revolutionary change," he almost laughed out loud on their old faces. "Why would I do that?" he had wanted to ask, but he swallowed his amusement and kept on listening until the visit ended, giving vague answers through it all.

The next time he met his brother again, Jung Jae said calmly, "It's only natural, Min Ho-yah. Were you amazed?"

"What is natural?"

"People suspecting you would want the throne."

"It's ridiculous. I grew up knowing you would be the next emperor. I have no ambition to murder you or hurt you in any way."

The Crown Prince, who was older and more mature, swept Min Ho with a serious glance and smiled at him warmly.

"I know. But people naturally think there is animosity between us."

"We share the same blood, Hyeong" Min Ho argued firmly, as if the fact would solve everything.

"True. It's unthinkable to hurt each other. We are family. But this effort to plot you against me will not be the last."

"I wish I could escape this fate."

Prince Jung Jae frowned. "Are you wishing to escape your whole existence?"

".......sometimes."

Jung Jae sighed heavily. They were walking together in the Imperial garden on one fine spring day back then.

"We didn't ask for our parents to have their names and positions" Jung Jae began, "however, we are entitled to it. Like how the sun must shine for the earth, like how the wind must make the world breathes. We were born for a cause, Min Ho-yah. Denying it will hurt ourselves."