Standing on the Crossroads

Author's Notes:

Angst and might be tears inducing. 

You're been warned.

***************************************************

Kim Go Eun, with a broken heart and sad eyes, found herself in a beautiful garden by a lake.

Someone was waiting for her with a smile.

It was Sung Kyung. Her maid, her best friend, and her sister.

"It's true! My lady! You really come to visit me!"

Sung Kyung looked pretty in the best dress she had ever seen on her.

Instead of a cold autumn day, they were sitting together on a summer day.

She was happy. With Sung Kyung she played all the games they used to play as children.

The weather was lovely, the flowers were blooming, and there was nothing whatsoever she would need to fear of.

********************************

In the bedroom, the doctor felt that the Princess's temperature had risen again. She decided to do another series of acupuncture treatment.

********************************

The days that followed were agony. Min Ho began to wonder about everything he had done in his life. Did everything lead to this? Would it be better if he didn't force her to marry him? She would still be living peacefully with her family, marrying that scholar Park Jin Young in the future. Not like this. Her maid had to die to protect her, her body was torn by a spear, and now she had to fight death so early.

Jo Yeong reminded him to eat on time and rest.

He could only be persuaded to leave her side for a few minutes before coming back again to hold her hair, dabbed water on her face, caressed her hair, and begged her to wake up.

The doctor watched with a pitiful expression. It was hard to believe that she was looking at the Grand Prince of Joseon, formerly known as the cold-hearted, cruel royal, now the hero of the nation.

He didn't look like one then.

He looked like a lost soul, his star would leave him soon.

************************************

The day of Park Hae Soo's execution had arrived. Min Ho had requested to witness the death himself.

"Wait for me" he said to his wife, "I'll be home again soon. It would be better if we could eat lunch together afterwards, My Lady. It's been a while, don't you think?"

He kissed her forehead and eventually left the room.

Kim Go Eun remained sleeping, missing to hear another plea her husband had uttered.

************************************

She was having a marvelous time. That day, she played her gayageum while Sung Kyung sat beside her, drinking lotus tea.

Everything was so beautiful, even the air smelt nice.

"Sung Kyung-ah?"

"Ne, My Lady?"

Sung Kyung had returned back to the habit of calling her "Lady" instead of "Princess," like she used to do before she was married.

"How long have I been staying here?"

Sung Kyung smiled calmly, "Only a little while, My Lady. There is still plenty of time for you to play more songs."

Go Eun smiled back, "Ahrasseo."