A Web of Intrigues

Warning: 

A cliffhanger at the end. 

***********************************************

"What is this I'm hearing about you wanting to marry a commoner?"

"Oh, you've heard?" Min Ho asked lazily, his appearance showing an easy, undisturbed manner.

"You're always the main topic of the city's rumors."

Min Ho chuckled.

"I am going to marry, but she's not a commoner."

"Is the daughter of the Sungkyunkwan University's rector has much to compliment herself as wealthy?"

"Park Hae Soo-ssi, if you dig around, dig it to the ground."

Hae Soo laughed and asked the courtesan to pour him another full glass of soju.

"I'll hear first-hand information, anyway. Why should I bother my hard working spies?"

"She's as rich as any noblewomen that ever stepped into the imperial palace."

"Why suddenly the need of a Princess Consort? I thought you would play around until middle age."

Min Ho pretended to test the warmth of the soju bottles, but in truth, he was considering what would the scheming Councillor Hae Soo wanted.

"She's pretty and could be the queen if.........everything goes according to plan."

Hae Soo sat straighter with interest.

"My Lord, this is the first time in our acquaintance I've ever heard you compliment a woman as pretty."

"Is it?"

"Most definitely."

Min Ho shrugged. "Marrying is good for my image."

"My Lord, please. You care nothing for your image."

"Fine, then. A personal bed warmer and a womb to bear me an heir."

"That boring stage of adulthood, huh?"

"You have taken the steps before me."

"So I did..........so I did. But I got bored with my wife after several months."

"Still.......you have one."

"It's the custom, isn't it?"

"Apparently."

"I congratulate you. May your interest in a wife last longer than mine, before you start playing with courtesans again."

Min Ho smiled and toasted the prayer.

"My Lord?"

"Yes?"

"Let's do something drastic."

"...........like what?"

"Like sending a real assassin to finally murder your brother."

Without missing an intake of breath, Min Ho continued with, "What kind of plan this time? We've tried poison and ambush but we have failed thrice."

"By sending this beautiful assassin to throw a knife to your brother's heart while she dances."

Even Jo Yeong couldn't see any difference in his master's whole countenance as they heard about the cruel plan.

Indeed, beside Park Hae Soo, there sat a very beautiful, tempting courtesan, with curves that could steal any man's sanity and a face that could even make the most righteous man commit a sin.