Before the Storm

The grandest event held annually was the banquet to celebrate the Emperor's birthday. The imperial palace was prepared for the day, every inch fervently cleaned, thousands of new, beautifully painted lanterns were placed in the palace, even to the remotest place inside.

Min Ho watched the preparation around him with a subdued mood, telling himself that the day would finally come, whether he was ready for it or not.

He and his Hyeong had stopped pretending they hated each other in front of other people and he had stayed in the imperial palace for nearly a month by then, by the request of Jung Jae.

It was a difficult time, and he felt he better stayed beside his brother.

Whatever may happen in that banquet, they couldn't avoid it anymore. He wished he could take them all to a safer place. His wife, his Hyeong, his lady and the crown price, away at a peaceful place where there were no politics, enemies, or government to run.

It was not to be. They were born for this, so it seemed.

His Hyeong suffered too. Because he stayed in the imperial palace again, he could see it.

One night, he said good night to his brother as he was sitting in the study.

The next morning, he greeted his brother again to find him still sitting in the same place.

"We clearly have all the evidence to execute Park Hae Soo," Jung Jae said, having

perused all the evidence reports Min Ho gathered with his peers.

"Yes. His crime to this nation won't be covered anymore."

"The people he murdered and the money he corrupted are beyond my understanding, and I'm grateful that after the banquet we'll proceed with putting him to trial."

"We could've done it a long time ago if only you'd let my people kill him in the middle of the night or poison him."

"We won't stoop as low as him, remember?"

"Of course, Hyeong. As you wish."

Jung Jae took a deep breath and closed his eyes in exhaustion.

"Hyeong?"

"Ne?"

"Did you sleep at all last night?"

"...........no."

"You should have."

"I know."

"Why didn't you?"

"..........sometimes I don't want to sleep. I avoid sleeping. I only sleep when I get

unbelievably exhausted."

"That's very unhealthy," Min Ho protested worriedly, seeing his brother sitting

tiredly in his chair, face pale and with dark circles under his eyes.

"I don't see you resting, Hyeong. You're the emperor of this nation. You should take

care of yourself."

"Because I see people dying. In my sleep."

Min HO felt a chill ran down his spine, all the hair on his hands seemed to stand.

"I see my son not waking up after being drowned in his own tub. I see Lady Jeon lying

in her bed with eyes opened, lifeless and poisoned......."

Jung Jae was speaking while closing his eyes, as if each word drained his energy even

more.

"I see your wife lying on the floor in the pool of her own blood........"