A New Chapter of Their Life

The sun had already set, yet Jung Jae hadn't stopped looking dejected. He sighed all the time, reading official reports but kept on pausing. not touching his meals and even paced around the room many, many times.

"Forbid him to go, if you're this disturbed with him leaving."

Jung Jae halted and looked at Lady Jeon.

"He has the right to choose his own destiny. He's been my pawn for too long. He suffered enough."

"What about your suffering after he leaves? Who will you share your mind with?"

Jung Jae roamed his eyes into the wide, well tended lawn. The yard of the emperor's chamber. The place where he and Min Ho played as children.

What did brotherhood mean?

Was it about being together in every stages of your life?

Was it about supporting each other loyally, putting yourself below the other's dream?

Or was it about being honest and hiding none?

Maybe it's time to let your brother have his own dream.

He knew. Oh, he knew it better than anyone else how Min Ho craved for a peaceful life, free from complications and sacrifices.

After all his brother had done for him, should he block his way now, using his authority?

No. If he did that to Min Ho, it would be an unforgivable sin in his life.

You need to know when you have to set a soul free.

"I'll share my mind with him through letters. And I'll bless his departure. It's the least I can do to repay him."

Lady Jeon touched his arm, looking straight at him with a concerned face.

"Your Highness. You will be very lonely. Have you realized that?"

".......maybe at the beginning. And then I'll adapt. This time, let me be happy for his happiness."

Whenever Jung Jae decided on something, though it took time, it's like watching heavy oak gates closing. It's immovable.

Lady Jeon knew, it would be useless to say anyting else.

****************

He had lived all his life in Hanyang, yet he had no regret in leaving the city. True, he was born there, growing up and became the man that he was.

But Hanyang had long ceased to be a place that he could call home. It's been too long since he viewed the town as something other than the headquarter of traitors and greed, villains and sinners.

Only those who swam in the politic world, he knew, but how could he think otherwise?

The last time Hanyang was home was when his father was still alive. After that, it was a mere area of suspicion and exhausting scheme.

Yes, his brother was the emperor, and he meant a lot for Min Ho. But he had long dreamed to leave, even before the plan to annihilate Park Hae Soo was finalized.

Meeting Kim Go Eun didn't make him want to stay. It made him more determined to leave. She did give him comfort, but he felt their relationship would be tainted if they stayed there.

Tainted by his restlessness and fear of the darker side of his title.

He could see it in the sudden support people were showing to him. The praises got more pronounced, bolder, and more obsessive. He foresaw the upcoming turn of preference. Soon, there would bound to be some people who try to lure him to dethrone the Emperor.