Twenty

One Month Later

Prince's POV:

It'd been one month since our return from St. Kitts. One month of Mya being my wife. One month of being back in our safety net and I was cherishing every moment. Mya was officially three and a half months, four next week and Ian was already two months old and displaying who was his favorite human in our home. It wasn't me.

Her bump was still the same size, only becoming bigger when she stopped trying to suck in, or early in the morning. It could still be easily concealed by high waisted pants or dark colored clothes, but I had a feeling that she was going to start really showing out of nowhere. She encouraged me to work with others again, to open Paisley Park's doors. Every time she'd bring it up, I'd softly kiss her lips and decline. Not yet, I'd say. I didn't want to make the same mistake with Mya that I did with others, which was ignore my significant other because music was more important. What was different with Mya however, was that she actually enjoyed being with me while I worked, even if we sat in silence and the only thing heard was the piano.

Everyone kept encouraging me to make a statement or do an interview about where I've been and why I haven't released any new music. I'd tell them all the same thing;

I've never released a statement on anything, ever. Why would I start now? Rumors are just that - rumors created by tabloids or by people who don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Court had been postponed to a later date for reasons unknown and I was so thankful for that. I was dreading that day.

With Ian being cradled with one hand against my chest, I softly hummed to him and bounced my knee as we sat on an exam table inside Dr. Allen's office, who was Mya's neurologist. She was scheduled for another neurological exam. Her head rested on my shoulder as her good hand played with my free one. I had to administer her weekly progesterone shot in her inner thigh this morning and due to that, she wasn't in the best mood. "Mya," I whispered gently, turning my head to see her properly. Her eyes met mine and they hid exhaustion, but were bright. "Whatever happens in this room, I love you. This exam won't change that. Me and you against the world, no matter what. Remember that." I caught the tears before they could fall and gently kissed her.

I think she knew.

"I l..love you," She whispered back, lifting her head when there was a knock on the door and the doctor entered the room with a smile.

"Hi you two. Well, three. How was your vacation?" Dr. Allen asked happily, pulling a stool in front of Mya and sitting down. I smiled, still bouncing Ian with my knee as he attempted to get attention by staring at his mother. He was fascinated with her. "It was great. Thank you so much. We hope to return sooner rather than later," Nodding, the neurologist adverted her attention to Mya.

"You know how this goes sweetheart. Ready?" With a slight head nod from the woman beside me, I couldn't help but hold my breath as Dr. Allen began her exam by running the bottom of her pen up and down Mya's left arm. "Can you feel that?" I could tell by the way her head bowed that she couldn't and my heart dropped.

"N..No." Dr. Allen was gentle and spoke in a soft manner as she asked Mya to walk in a line to the door a few feet away. Getting off the table, the one who had my soul did as she was told. Her left leg dragged against the floor so hard that her shoe squeaked every time she took a step. She beared weight on the side she could feel and was trying to keep herself together. Her limp was extremely apparent and when she turned back around, she wouldn't look at me. Sitting there and watching her fail a fifth exam tore my heart. She was trying so hard in therapy to get better and I couldn't understand why she wasn't.