Twenty-One

Prince's POV:

"P, you have to see this." Brian said to me a week later as I entered the car after a meeting in St. Paul about TIME. It was mid-afternoon and I had left Mya and Ian alone at Paisley Park. I tried to bring him with me and he cried and cried, screaming at one point when I took him out of Mya's sight. I found no reason to take him away from her and left them both after I helped Mya shower and kissed her goodbye.

"What?" I said, watching him playfully shake his head as the phone in his hand played a very loud Girl Can't Help It by Journey. When he turned it towards me, I felt my heartbeat quicken at what was on the screen. It was Mya was holding Ian in front of a full length mirror in one of the studios. She was dancing him around the room, her foot was dragging the ground, but she didn't notice. She was positioned in a way where he could fully see her and his giggles filled the room every time she moved, every time he caught sight of her in the mirror. His eyes were wide, and when he wasn't giggling, he would hum to show her how excited he was.

It was a text message from John. It read:

"Been like this for an hour now. Me and Eric are sitting in the corner like the third and fourth wheels we are. Can somebody please tell my bff that she's a damn good mother? Ocean eyes has been giggling like this since she started holding him. She thinks nobody notices. But..I do!

PS: please tell P not to kill me for recording. Hurry up so he can see it for himself."

I laughed to myself and licked my lips, trying to figure out how to work Brian's touch screen phone as my fingers hit one letter at a time.

"John, Eye'll let it slide this one time 4 U. Thx 4 sending this video 2 Brian 4 Me. Mya is my heart & soul. She is everything 2 Me. Eye think the one above 4 allowing me the 2nd chance 2 love her again, 2 help her in whichever way Eye possibly can, she is trying. Eye know it's hard 4 her. Eye'm working on showing her how good of a mother she is 2 Ian & how good she will b 2 our unborn child. Eye think she thinks that she is a burden 2 me and she is not. Some days are hard, but there's days like this that made me grateful 4 everything.

Eye am so proud of her.

1 step at a time.

See U soon.

-P."

-

The door to the studio was cracked open when me and Brian walked through the atrium and towards the sound of music flowing through the room. My eyebrows raised as I peered my head around the corner with Brian. Nobody had noticed us yet, but I could see Ian in Mya's shirt as she laid in the floor by John's arm, Eric was beside her, and although Ian was wide awake, she looked half asleep. "Johnson. Help me end a debate. Ready?" John mumbled, his lips in a straight line as a hum came from Mya's mouth.

"Dirty Dancing or Ghost?" He asked with his eyebrows raised, earning a laugh from Brian. "I'm being serious. Which one?"

Eric took Ian and Mya immediately flipped over onto her stomach, a silent indication that she was hurting somewhere and keeping it a secret. I frowned, but soon realized that John knew and was choosing to not draw attention to it, but was instead, distracting her. "D..Dirty Dancing."

"Oh come on! Dirty Dancing may be a classic, but Ghost is where it's at." Eric argued as he looked at the ceiling. Mya's head made it to the crease of John's arm. Her eyes closed. "I know Brian and P are standing there. Dirty Dancing or Ghost?" Eric asked, raising his body and cradling Ian at the same time, a smirk etched on his face.